JIRA 6.1 - Dashboard Button

Peter Milakovich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2013

We're moving from JIRA 5.2 to JIRA 6.1. I noticed in testing a difference in how the dashboard button in the upper left hand corner of JIRA works.

Version 5.2:

Clicking the dashboard button would take me straight to my default dashboard (I only use one).

Version 6.1:

Clicking the dashboard button forces a drop down menu where I then must choose between my default dashboard and the manage dashboards option.

So a task that used to be one click, is now two. I know, I know, nothing is broken, it's just a usability issue I noticed and wanted to see why it was changed to work this way.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 25, 2013

By clicking the button between the application navigator, and the Dashboards drop down menu (Default a JIRA icon, unless you have adjusted this) will return you to your last used Dashboard.
You can not configure a default Dashboard, though you can configure a global default Dashboard for all users on the instance. This will be the Dashboard users will see by default when logging in, or clicking the button as described above. However, this only applies to user that have not added any Dashboards to their favorites. In this case, both when clicking the previously mentioned button, and when logging in to the instance, you will get directed to your last used Dashboard. For further details please look at this page.

0 votes
Servicedesk Actuera June 3, 2014

Mick Nassette [Atlassian] said:

By clicking the button between the application navigator, and the Dashboards drop down menu (Default a JIRA icon, unless you have adjusted this) will return you to your last used Dashboard.

But that button brings you back to your home page. Not always the last used Dashboard. Only when your setting is that your home page is Dashboard.

So is it possible to go back to your last used Dashboard if your home page is for example Agile?

0 votes
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 25, 2013

Hello Peter!

I understand what you are saying, but I believe the change comes from the fact that if you have multiple dashboards on 5.2 and you click on the Dashboard button, a new page will load (manage your dashboard pages) which will have all your dashboards listed.

Now, say you have multiple dashboads in 6.1. Once you click on the Dashboards link, the dropdown menu will appear and you can quickly access directly your desired dashboard. It will save you one page loading.

I hope this information could be useful!

Benito Picarelli

Suggest an answer