JIRA 6.1.5 DOA - SQL Exception looking for KEY column in customfield table

Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

I just updated to JIRA 6.15, HUGE MISTAKE once again jumping on Atlassian upgrades as they are POORLY TESTED and Q/A is a total failure!  Beyond that, the error in my log file is:

2016-04-21 19:42:23,320 JiraTaskExectionThread-2 WARN neal007 1181x651x1 1m5o77x 100.7.52.33 /secure/admin/IndexReIndex.jspa [c.a.jira.index.AccumulatingResultBuilder] com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT KEY, CUSTOMFIELDTYPEKEY, CUSTOMFIELDSEARCHERKEY, cfname, DESCRIPTION, defaultvalue, FIELDTYPE, PROJECT, ISSUETYPE FROM dbo.customfield WHERE ID=? (Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'KEY'.)

I looked in the SQL Database schema for the table "customfield" and there is no column "KEY" defined.  Was one supposed to be added or is this a bad SQL statement in JIRA 6.1.5 that kills it???

I'm dead in the water, again!

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016
Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2016

Haha - gotta love seeing Atlassian uses JIRA 7.1.2.  Hmmmm

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2016

Ahh, nicely spotted!  I wonder why I'm not running into it!

Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2016

This is a perfect example of Atlassian's lack of Q/A in testing new releases. Had anyone actually run an upgrade from 6.1.4 to 6.1.5 using MS-SQL or MySQL it would have failed.  They rely too much on automated testing and distribution which is why I personally, as a software developer and software company owner despise when people rely solely on automated Q/A.  This is the second time in recent past they have broken an upgrade against MS-SQL at least.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2016

I've only done it with MySQL.  I'll need to see why I had it work!  I don't run MS-SQL generally.

0 votes
Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2016

The SELECT statement should be:

SELECT [KEY], CUSTOMFIELDTYPEKEY, CUSTOMFIELDSEARCHERKEY, cfname, DESCRIPTION, defaultvalue, FIELDTYPE, PROJECT, ISSUETYPE FROM dbo.customfield WHERE ID=?

0 votes
Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2016

Which database are you using?  I'm using MS SQL Server 2014

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2016

Sadly, I was intrigued and tried the upgrade.  It worked for me with a plain 6.1.4 and a spot of random data going to 6.1.5.  So I wonder what's different about your install?

0 votes
Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2016

I'm still working with support but the first problem is their ALTER statement to add a new column "KEY" to customfields is incorrect. It should be:

INCORRECT:

ALTER TABLE dbo.customfield ADD KEY NVARCHAR(255)

CORRECT:

ALTER TABLE dbo.customfield ADD [KEY] NVARCHAR(255)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2016

From what version did you upgrade?  And what documentation did you follow?

Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2016

6.1.4, standard upgrade process.

Suggest an answer