JIRA 6.0 to 7.0 (migration, not upgrade)

We have a 6.0 server, we want to test 7.x (30-day trial, or a cheap 10-user instance, or even the cloud edition) with the project data first before bringing all the projects over.

So effectively this is a attempt to migrate from 6.0 to our 7.x test setup.   I was hoping doing a xml backup from 6.0 and Import into 7.x would work, doesn't.  So what is the right steps to do this without touching the original 6.0 server as we can't impact all the projects running over there; trying to provide them a way to see their own projects as manifest in the new version first to get the buy in.

The other hangup here is i am ok to install a 6.0, import projects, and upgrade to 7.0 but not sure how to get a 6.0 test instance anymore (i.e., either test instance or buy a 10 user license key for the old version) since all the trial stuff is the new stuff.

1 answer

1. Follow this guide to create a staging clone of your production server https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/establishing-staging-server-environments-for-jira-285839559.html
  2. Test the upgrade on the staging server - you can use evaluation license for the test
  3. Once you're happy with the upgrade buy a commercial license and upgrade production

Also, if your 6.0 server is fully commercially licenced, you have access to a "development licence".  You can use that on your staging server instead of an evaluation (it gives you complete access without evaluation nagging and expires when your commercial licence expires, rather than in the month an evaluation lasts)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,663 views 18 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you