JIRA 6.0 SOAP API - setting Reporter and Assignee for JIRA issue for new and existing issues

Makarand Keer December 5, 2013

Hi,

I am trying to create a new JIRA issue with reporter and assignee values. I have checked permissions and both reporter and assignee have appropriate permissions on JIRA project.

However when Issue gets created, reporter and assignee is set to service account which I am using to connect to JIRA.

In JIRA assignee is on create and edit form but reporter is not. Followig is my test code. . .

RemoteIssue issue = newRemoteIssue

();<font></font>

issue.summary =

<font></font>

"Test Issue " + DateTime

.Now.ToString();

//issue.priority = "P3 - Low";

<font></font>

issue.project =

<font></font>

"CRMTEST"

;

////"Documentation Bug" : 40

<font></font>

issue.type =

<font></font>

"93"

;<font></font>

issue.assignee =

<font></font>

"10134"

;<font></font>

issue.reporter =

<font></font>

"10134"

;<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues =

<font></font>

newRemoteCustomFieldValue

[10];<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues[0] =

<font></font>

newRemoteCustomFieldValue() { customfieldId = "customfield_11405", values = newstring[] { "Acer"

} };<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues[1] =

<font></font>

newRemoteCustomFieldValue() { customfieldId = "customfield_11400", values = newstring[] { "ADFDF"

} };<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues[2] =

<font></font>

newRemoteCustomFieldValue() { customfieldId = "customfield_11374", values = newstring[] { "uSD"

} };<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues[3] =

<font></font>

newRemoteCustomFieldValue() { customfieldId = "customfield_11376", values = newstring[] { "Field"

} };<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues[4] =

<font></font>

newRemoteCustomFieldValue() { customfieldId = "customfield_11408", values = newstring[] { "19nm X2"

} };<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues[5] =

<font></font>

newRemoteCustomFieldValue() { customfieldId = "customfield_11372", values = newstring[] { "HDD not working"

} };<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues[6] =

<font></font>

newRemoteCustomFieldValue() { customfieldId = "customfield_11370", values = newstring[] { "Japan"

} };<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues[7] =

<font></font>

newRemoteCustomFieldValue() { customfieldId = "customfield_11441", values = newstring[] { "Yes"

} };

//customfield_11441

<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues[8] =

<font></font>

();<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues[8].customfieldId =

<font></font>

"customfield_11480"

;

//issue.customFieldValues[8].key = null;

<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues[8].values =

<font></font>

newstring[] { "18170"

};<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues[9] =

<font></font>

();<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues[9].customfieldId =

<font></font>

"customfield_11480:1"

;

//issue.customFieldValues[9].key = "1";

<font></font>

issue.customFieldValues[9].values =

<font></font>

newstring[] { "18190"

};

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Makarand Keer December 7, 2013

From UI, it accepts assignee different that reporter. One more strange thing is when I create issue from SOAP, it takes the reporter as assignee even though set reporter not having "Assignable User" permissions. And I can open such issue in JIRA without any error

0 votes

I testing it with Service account who is administrator on JIRA project, so he should have all permissions. I explicitly checked for service account and it has followng permissions

Create Issues

Edit Issues

Assign Issues

Assignable User

Resolve Issues

Close Issues

Modify Reporter

Delete Issues

Here is one interesting finding, for assignee when I create it it does not take what I am giving but after create if I immediately set assignee to same value that was used in Create, it does take that assignee value. So for now I have this dirty fix implemented !!!!

But for reporter it still does not work even if I try to Update issue.

0 votes

Hi Nic,

Yes, its correct employee id.

Had it been wrong value, it should have thrown error right? But it does create new JIRA issue with reporter and assignee as service account

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2013

I'm having to guess that you are asking your users to log in with <employee id><password>? (There's nothing wrong with this, I'm just checking that I have understood your username policy)

Yes, if the user ID was wrong, you will get an error. I really think you've got it right there, and something else is not working.

My instinct is to check the "service account". Does it have the Jira permissions to "change reporter" and "assign issues". If it does not, then Jira will correctly set the reporter to the person creating the issue. Assignee is a bit more complex though, so check the permissions first, then the "default assignee" rules

I testing it with Service account who is administrator on JIRA project, so he should have all permissions. I explicitly checked for service account and it has followng permissions

Create Issues

Edit Issues

Assign Issues

Assignable User

Resolve Issues

Close Issues

Modify Reporter

Delete Issues

Here is one interesting finding, for assignee when I create it it does not take what I am giving but after create if I immediately set assignee to same value that was used in Create, it does take that assignee value. So for now I have this dirty fix implemented !!!!

But for reporter it still does not work even if I try to Update issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2013

Ok, are the reporter and assignee both shown on the "create" screen when this user logs in via the usual front end?

assignee field is shown on create and edit screens, reporter is not shown on JIRA UI. Is is this a reason?

Makarand Keer December 7, 2013

Here is latest development.

I added Reporter field to Create screen along with Assignee and both are editable on JIRA screen.

Now with this change, I am able to set the Reporter from API, however even if I set assignee field different than Reporter, it still sets Reporter as Assginee.

Is there any reason for this behavior?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2013

Makes sense - SOAP respects the settings in the UI, but I don't know why you're getting the reporter set as the assignee.

What does it do if you create an issue in the UI (setting the assignee to something other than the reporter of course)?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2013

You appear to be setting reporter and assignee to a number - are you sure that's correct? Someone does log in as 10134?

Also, you say SOAP, is it time to move to REST, as SOAP is deprecated and won't be there in Jira 7?

Suggest an answer