JIRA 5.2 how to set the default sorting order on issue navigation??

CV June 6, 2013

JIRA 5.2 how to set the default sorting order on issue navigation??

And on comments & works log as well??

9 answers

2 votes
jbk2 May 14, 2019

Me too, this very frustrating and I find myself having to select 'Order by created' in the drop down most times I look at the issues view. At least default to sorting by 'created' which I'd imagine is the most desired sorting order.

2 votes
Eli Kirby January 14, 2017

The issue name/number field is called "KEY"

owenboyle March 25, 2021

This is typical JIRA... A field that everyone calls the "issue number", or "issue code" or something - they call it "key". Something you'd never guess and that isn't documented.

What do you call the Due by date? the MustCompleteTimestamp?

1 vote
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2013

I'm afraid there is no other solution than the one described by Zulfadli. I found no option to set a default order for issue navigator.

CV June 9, 2013

If Zulfadli's solution does what I want. could you explain the steps in bit more detail please??

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2013

I'm afraid you can't achieve what you want. There is no default sorting order (other than issue key). Sorting is done or can be persisted with every filter you create and save via JQL (ORDER BY). In my opinion this makes sense because what you want to be the default order doesn't neccesarily have to be the opinion of other people using JIRA.

1 vote
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2013

Sorting in Issue Navigator, you can use the ORDER BY JQL query on Advanced Searching. Or just click on any column header to get it sorted.

Sorting for comments, can be done in General Configuration > Advanced. More info here.

CV June 6, 2013

Thanks, I have configured the default order for comments,history etc.

But how do I do the same for Issue Navigation?? I know user can sort their own but would like to set a default sorting order of my own???

0 votes
Aamer Mohammed December 6, 2019

I want to set it by 'Created' by default too- it is annoying

0 votes
Lillian Shibata-Salley March 19, 2018

Yes me too - would like to set the sort order for these filters e.g., first by priority, then by Status, Issue type then Assignee - any way of doing this?

0 votes
Lori Cho September 18, 2015

I too find this frustrating.  When I just do a search for a string, and a whole bunch of stuff comes up, there seems to be no order.  Even ordering by key would be helpful (since that at least also means sorting by created).   I think a personalized sorting option would be nice.

Ramya Mure December 6, 2016

You do have the option for sorting by issuekey.

You just add -    ORDER BY issuekey
at the end of the query, this gives you the issues sorted by ascending order of the issuekeys

0 votes
Stuart Fawcett May 14, 2015

Its true, this is really annoying, I'm looking at a project and want to see all the issues in order to see the latest ones. But I can't.

The best option i found after typing A, then B, then C..........  was U for updated.

Sorting by updated at least shows the one most recently worked on or forgotten about - please do add search by Issue Number or Issue ID to the field definitions.

EDIT - actually after looking even closer at this is it not KEY to sort by this.

0 votes
CV June 9, 2013

Anyone?

Suggest an answer