JIRA 5.2 User Activity Streams Not Working ("slow to respond" error)

EthanML December 10, 2012

Hi all,

I've just upgraded our JIRA to 5.2 on a Linux test server and most things seem to be working OK so far, however there is this one issue.

The activity streams on user profiles aren't appearing, they just time out then display a "One or more activity sources were slow to respond and are not included" message, after just a few seconds. The streams on other types of pages eg. Project pages seem to work fine.

I should also mention that at first after the upgrade these stream were working, however they were extremely slow. This combined with a general slowness of the system prompted me to attempt increasing the amount of RAM given to Jira, however this didn't seem to help the overall speed of the system and as an added bonus the User Activity Streams haven't been working since - even after I changed the memory allocation back to its default 768mb.

So, any suggestions?

18 answers

1 vote
Scout Analytics March 24, 2013

If it helps, my particular issue was related to a broken Fisheye application link. After I disabled the link, everything worked fine. So perhaps give your applinks a look.

0 votes
ACAirborne February 6, 2015

It's been a while since I've revisited this thread, but here's some info that may help someone out there.  Most of our slowness was due to a plugin called Jitter.  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.svansson.jitter

This is the plugin responsible for that social-media type notification up in the JIRA header which notifies you if there are any updates that pertain to you.  Basically this plugin does a whole table scan every time it is invoked.  The problem is that it is invoked for every user, in every page.  So the bigger the table, the longer it takes and the slower the response.  Our DBA was able to determine the query and if you're really interested you can send me a PM and I can provide it.  Basically you have a few options.

• Disable the plugin
  • Create an index
  • Reach out to the plugin's developer and raise a ticket with them

Hopefully this helps people out.

0 votes
Andrew Dawson February 5, 2015

Did this get answered? I'm suddenly seeing this in the activity stream of our JIRA 5.2.11. Clicking the longer timeout button works, but is there any way to make it run the query faster? Can I give the server more power?

I've installed a new version 6.3.14 and imported the data from our existing JIRA, and this is giving the same error, but specifying a single source that didn't respond quickly so is excluded.

0 votes
Devu Heda
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2014

we are running into the same issue with JIRA 6.1.6 as well, suprised that there is clear answer on this

0 votes
Ryan O Sullivan November 11, 2013

seeing this on JIRA 5.2.11

0 votes
ACAirborne April 17, 2013

We haven't integrated Jira with Fisheye.

0 votes
Bahar Çağlar April 17, 2013

Dan is right!

Check your application links. Check its configuration.

For just trying, delete them :) you will see that the message at the top of the activity stream will be disappeared.

Cheers.

EthanML April 22, 2013

Yeah, our Jira currently has no application links so it's nothing to do with those.

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2013

Hi Ethan,

i don't know if it would help but i'd try to do the following:

shut down jira

clear caches (jira_home_dir/caches/*)

clear catalina work directory (jira_install_dir/work/*)

start jira

regards

0 votes
Bart Davy March 24, 2013

I see this issue as well.

0 votes
Scout Analytics March 14, 2013

I also would like to know the resolution to this problem. Thanks.

0 votes
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 5, 2013

Please try reindexing your data. You will find this command on admin panel.

ACAirborne March 5, 2013

Reindexed it a couple of times already. Also raised the JVM min and max to see if it made a difference, which it did not. It's at 512 and 1792 now. And no, did not raise an issue with Atlassian, thought I'd hit up the community first.

Andrew Dawson February 6, 2015

Did you raise an issue with Atlassian in the end, or did you fix it?

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 5, 2013

Raised an issue with Atlassian?

EthanML March 6, 2013

I have "poked" Atlassian regarding this post now, hopefully now there's several people asking they can provide some help.

0 votes
ACAirborne March 5, 2013

You guys know how to manually extend the time period in the config?

0 votes
ACAirborne March 5, 2013

No entries in the log. When I click on the link to try again with a longer timeout period, it works then. Anyone know where this timeout configuration is for the activity stream? I'm thinking maybe I should extend that manually.

0 votes
EthanML March 5, 2013

Yep extending the timeout period is basically the solution here I think, but I did some research on ti and didn't come up with anything.

0 votes
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 5, 2013

Are there any entries in the log file while browsing the activity stream under User' profile. Can you paste it here?

0 votes
ACAirborne March 4, 2013

Facing the exact same issue. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

0 votes
srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2013

I am also facing similar issue on dashbard Activity Stream gadget with JIRA 5.2.5. what is the work around?

Suggest an answer