JIRA 5.2 User Activity Streams Not Working ("slow to respond" error)

Hi all,

I've just upgraded our JIRA to 5.2 on a Linux test server and most things seem to be working OK so far, however there is this one issue.

The activity streams on user profiles aren't appearing, they just time out then display a "One or more activity sources were slow to respond and are not included" message, after just a few seconds. The streams on other types of pages eg. Project pages seem to work fine.

I should also mention that at first after the upgrade these stream were working, however they were extremely slow. This combined with a general slowness of the system prompted me to attempt increasing the amount of RAM given to Jira, however this didn't seem to help the overall speed of the system and as an added bonus the User Activity Streams haven't been working since - even after I changed the memory allocation back to its default 768mb.

So, any suggestions?

18 answers

If it helps, my particular issue was related to a broken Fisheye application link. After I disabled the link, everything worked fine. So perhaps give your applinks a look.

I am also facing similar issue on dashbard Activity Stream gadget with JIRA 5.2.5. what is the work around?

Facing the exact same issue. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Are there any entries in the log file while browsing the activity stream under User' profile. Can you paste it here?

Yep extending the timeout period is basically the solution here I think, but I did some research on ti and didn't come up with anything.

No entries in the log. When I click on the link to try again with a longer timeout period, it works then. Anyone know where this timeout configuration is for the activity stream? I'm thinking maybe I should extend that manually.

You guys know how to manually extend the time period in the config?

Raised an issue with Atlassian?

I have "poked" Atlassian regarding this post now, hopefully now there's several people asking they can provide some help.


Please try reindexing your data. You will find this command on admin panel.

Reindexed it a couple of times already. Also raised the JVM min and max to see if it made a difference, which it did not. It's at 512 and 1792 now. And no, did not raise an issue with Atlassian, thought I'd hit up the community first.

Did you raise an issue with Atlassian in the end, or did you fix it?

I also would like to know the resolution to this problem. Thanks.

I see this issue as well.

Hi Ethan,

i don't know if it would help but i'd try to do the following:

shut down jira

clear caches (jira_home_dir/caches/*)

clear catalina work directory (jira_install_dir/work/*)

start jira

regards

Dan is right!

Check your application links. Check its configuration.

For just trying, delete them :) you will see that the message at the top of the activity stream will be disappeared.

Cheers.

Yeah, our Jira currently has no application links so it's nothing to do with those.

We haven't integrated Jira with Fisheye.

seeing this on JIRA 5.2.11

we are running into the same issue with JIRA 6.1.6 as well, suprised that there is clear answer on this

Did this get answered? I'm suddenly seeing this in the activity stream of our JIRA 5.2.11. Clicking the longer timeout button works, but is there any way to make it run the query faster? Can I give the server more power?

I've installed a new version 6.3.14 and imported the data from our existing JIRA, and this is giving the same error, but specifying a single source that didn't respond quickly so is excluded.

It's been a while since I've revisited this thread, but here's some info that may help someone out there.  Most of our slowness was due to a plugin called Jitter.  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.svansson.jitter

This is the plugin responsible for that social-media type notification up in the JIRA header which notifies you if there are any updates that pertain to you.  Basically this plugin does a whole table scan every time it is invoked.  The problem is that it is invoked for every user, in every page.  So the bigger the table, the longer it takes and the slower the response.  Our DBA was able to determine the query and if you're really interested you can send me a PM and I can provide it.  Basically you have a few options.

  • Disable the plugin
  • Create an index
  • Reach out to the plugin's developer and raise a ticket with them

Hopefully this helps people out.

 

Suggest an answer

Log in or Join to answer
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,868 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot