JIRA 5.1 Updating Resolutions Descriptions - new description not showing in local help

Dave Prigg January 27, 2013

In JIRA 5.1.2, I have updated the description field for existing resolutions and have added 2 new resolutions. The updated description values for existing resolutions does not appear in local help after updating. The updated description for newly added resolutions is as expected; changes are also shown when the new resolutions are edited. I have checked the 'resolution' table and the description is being saved correctly. To reproduce this administration->resolutions->update description field. Next, close issue -> click help icon to view resolution descriptions. Is there a cache that needs flushed or something else I'm missing.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2013

Local help is not really maintained. What you can do is the following.

1. Create a new one with a different name with whatever description you want.
  2. Delete the original resolution and while deleting it will ask you to select the resolution to which to migrate existing issues. Select the one which we created in step 1
  3. Rename the new one to the original name
  4. Repeat 1-3 for all the existing ones.

Please try it on a test server before doing in production.

Dave Prigg January 30, 2013

Hi Renjith,

I tested this with a resolution having 7099 issues associated. JIRA remapped the issue correctly to the new id and removed the old resolution from the resolution table. Unfortunately the system still picked up the old description after I renamed the it back to the original name. I suspect that it is associating the name with the description rather than the id.

Thanks, Dave

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

Really? ah bad luck :(

Slightly change the names :) Call 'Won't Fix' as 'Wont Fix' :)

Dave Prigg January 31, 2013

Thanks Renijith, I was thinking similarly. I created a new resolution called 'Will Not Fix' and checked that the new description was picked up in the local help. I then deleted the 'Won't Fix' resolution and mapped it to 'Will Not Fix'. I also confirmed that the description was correct in local help after the resolution was remapped. Please Note: This is a slow process and you will need to tail the log to be sure that it is working as the screen doesn't always update or show the progress.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 1, 2013

That is an interesting observation.

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013

This is a known bug, please add all your love to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-28051

Suggest an answer