JIRA 5.1.4 upgrade

vivek.aniyan September 7, 2012

Hi I am able to upgrade JIRA 5.1.4 but when I try to import te XML back , i am blocked by receiving an error like GC overhead limit exceeded due to java out of memory exception after improving a 30 - 40 % of upload data is done.

Any workaround for this ?

4 answers

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2012

Hi, I agree with the other posters in that you should do an in-place upgrade. XML upgrades do use more memory and hence why you might have bumped into the issue.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2012

Why are not doing a database in-place upgrade for Jira? There is no import step then.

0 votes
vivek.aniyan September 7, 2012

Thank you Radek, But still its showing the GC overhead limit exceeded error.

Since JIRA is already up, will it be useful If I go for and import database command ( imp db) as we normally do in Confluence upgradation?

Any Clue?

Radek Antoniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2012

Indeed, that is a valid question. Why don't you try to just replace the version of JIRA and start the new one? JIRA will then upgrade itself and you do not need to export/imprort anything.

Make sure you do a backup (db + files) before though.

0 votes
Radek Antoniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2012

Hello Vivek,

Have you had a look at the JIRA logs? Do you see any errors there during the import process? If by chance you have stumbled upon a PermGen space error, can you please try increasing this memory? Here is an article that should help you with that.

If you see any other errors, can you add the line here please?

Greets,

Radek

Suggest an answer