JIRA 5.1 - 2 questions re: pop-up issue edit window

Chris Gray August 20, 2012

Just upgraded to JIRA 5.1 - love it.

We had set up some javascript in field descriptions - simple stuff to help us populate description fields, and comments - that worked great in JIRA 4.x However, when I upgraded, it stopped working. Whenever I click on the issue Edit button, a popup window appears and the javascript stops working. If I right click on the Edit button, and open the edit window in a new tab, the javascript works.

So, I have two questions...

a) can I turn off the pop-up issue edit window that appears?

b) is there some way to get the javascript working for issue fields?

Thanks

Chris Gray

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2012
In JIRA 5 onwards, you need to do something like:

(function($) {
    }

AJS.toInit(function(){
        // old function
    });

JIRA.bind(JIRA.Events.NEW_CONTENT_ADDED, function (e, context) {
        // old function
    });
})(AJS.$);

0 votes
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2012

You can disable the edit issue popup by disabling the "Quick Edit Plugin" via the Plugins admin page, but it really is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The custom JavaScript would also not work with inline edit and any other UI improvements we add in the future.

As Harry mentioned, the JavaScript just needs to bind to the JIRA.Events.NEW_CONTENT_ADDED event instead of executing on page load.

The relevant documentation page is here - https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Custom+Fields+that+use+CSS+or+JavaScript+Web+Resources+in+JIRA+5.0

Jyri Sakkara October 8, 2012

Quick edit plugin cannot be disabled from plugins admin page. Tried with versions 5.0 - 5.1.3 . Has this changed in newer versions?

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/45607/non-ajax-edit-view-on-jira-5

0 votes
Ion Kerga August 22, 2012

I'm not sure if it helps, but we had some similar troubles with issue-edit-popup. We had javascript which made two tips arising near customfields, and after upgrading to the 5.1 they disappeared, but in a new tab all worked fine. So after searching we realized that our were simply under issue-edit-popup - we styled them like this a.style.position='absolute';a.style.zIndex="4100"; and they began to work normally.

Chris Gray August 23, 2012

Nope - that doesn't do it. The javascript in the description of the field is set up as per https://confluence.atlassian.com/plugins/viewsource/viewpagesrc.action?pageId=121127, and it worked up to the point that we upgraded to JIRA 5.1. It still works, but only if the edit page is not a popup.

Suggest an answer