JIRA 5.0.3 (and 4.4.5) install on Windows using Oracle 11g failing

John Howard April 24, 2012

Install fails after putting the database details into the wizard. Connection test is successful, then the following error:

HTTP Status 500 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertyImplementationException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:OSPropertyEntry][id,null][entityId,1][propertyKey,webwork.i18n.encoding][type,5][entityName,jira.properties] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO propertyentry (ID, ENTITY_NAME, ENTITY_ID, PROPERTY_KEY, propertytype) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into ("JIRA"."PROPERTYENTRY"."ID")
))

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(see attached txt file). (JIRA_inst_err.txt)

Oracle 11g/JIRA 5.0.3 & 4.4.5 tried

7 answers

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2012

These errors usually occur when the Jira setup is incorrect.

On ORCL, check if database-type is oracle10g / oracle11g (depends on the JDBC drivers). Check the JDBC drivers, too.

I cannot believe that HSQL error is exactly the same, it works for me.

0 votes
Andre Lehmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2012

Yes, like I said, the install crashes even with hsql-db.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2012

That's the wrong dbconfig.xml... that one is for hsql.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2012

I would contact support, but this feels like someone forgot that Oracle supports identity column types differently by using sequences. It could also be the installation code did not recognize that an Oracle database is being used and sequence support was not added.

I don't have an Oracle installation to compare to, so I do not know for sure which type of error you are running into.

I am also assuming you setup your database type correctly.

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+JIRA+to+Oracle

If not, please see the link below

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Incorrect+database+type+specified

0 votes
Andre Lehmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2012

here the dbconfig.xml

{code}

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<jira-database-config>
<name>defaultDS</name>
<delegator-name>default</delegator-name>
<database-type>hsql</database-type>
<schema-name>PUBLIC</schema-name>
<jdbc-datasource>
<url>jdbc:hsqldb:/home/atlassuser/jira/jirahome/database/jiradb</url>
<driver-class>org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver</driver-class>
<username>sa</username>
<password></password>
<pool-size>15</pool-size>
<min-evictable-idle-time-millis>4000</min-evictable-idle-time-millis>
<time-between-eviction-runs-millis>5000</time-between-eviction-runs-millis>
</jdbc-datasource>
</jira-database-config>

{code}

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2012

What's the content of dbconfig.xml ? You will find this file in the JIRA home dir.

0 votes
Andre Lehmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2012

Same for us (jira 5.0.3) running on unix.

Even HSQL-DB crashes

Suggest an answer