JIRA 4.0 Search failure - Silient Re-index ?

Shyam Shyam December 4, 2011

Dear all,

The JIRA reindex is rather quite irritating.

On more than one occasion, reasons unknown, the JQL search fails. When the system is reindexed, this is magically resolved.

I understand that JIRA prompts for explicit reindex whenever there is a change from the Admin side - ex : Changes to Custom Field, Workflow etc.

I can assure that nothing of this kind has happened.

The steps I followed to leave index out of sync is -

1) Created a JQL search that resulted in 104 issues.

2) Did a bulk edit and updated one of the Custom Field.

3) Ran the JQL : Project = "ABC" and issuetype = "Bug" and updated >=-1d

The search result gives me just 48 issues and the remaining 56 is not listed !!

But, when I open one of the issues from this "buggy" listing of 56 issues, the updated date is bang on - 5 Dec 2011.

Then why dint the JQL "Project = "ABC" and issuetype = "Bug" and updated >=-1d" capture this ?

This reindex behaviour is driving us crazy.

Does anybody know the root cause for this & possible solution too ?

Background : We are using JIRA 4.0 and JIRA application and Oracle DB are located on 2 different machines connected by a high speed LAN.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dennis Kromhout van der Meer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2011

Do you have your validation query in place? I've dealt with several JIRA database problems with indexing if the validation query isn't used. To check this, please review the following documentation: JIRA SQL Validation query.

If this doesn't fix your issue, please create a ticket at support.atlassian.com with your logs for further investigation.

Shyam Shyam December 5, 2011

Hi,

I tried including the validation query and the solution worked.

What I am not quite sure is if this solution resolves all the problems related to incorrect search results due to the reindex issue!

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Dennis Kromhout van der Meer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2011

No problem! Mark the question as answered if my solution fully works :)

Suggest an answer