JEMH - Getting double notifications

J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2015

So...working on building out a new install of JEMH using JIRA 6.2.7 and JEMH 1.5.129. I'm getting the custom "create" email that I've built, but I'm also getting a follow up regular JIRA one as well. I've stripped all users out of the custom event, so it's being triggered by JEMH, just not sure how.

Oh...and I'm doing it from an external user that doesn't exist in Jira. Thoughts? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2015

Hi James,

its one of three things:

1. there is a ISSUE_CREATED and CUSTOM_EVENT enabled in the JEMH Event Listener
  2. there is either an ISSUE_CREATED or CUSTOM_EVENT enabled in the JEMH Event Listener AND the Profile > Notifications > Notify user of issue creation is set to something
  3. any single variant above + Postfunction notification defined.

I guess that this wont happen for interactive users creating issues (by the guess that you have Issue_Created enabled), interactive users get one notification, but email creation triggers two.  This is because there is no way for JEMH to 'know' (in 1.6.x) that the issue was created by one or the other method.  As happens, I did just document this in 1.7.x (1.7.x creates issues with Custom Fields, making the approach viable).  In 1.6.x its not there, can't be there.  Anything familiar?

J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2015

I''ll be checking in a few minutes after I get done with my "resolution" template mail I'll go after it. My guess is that I did #2, but...not sure.

Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2015

there is a problem scenario in pre 1.7.x when supporting both interactive users (who need ISSUE_CREATE) and email users (who need the CUSTOM_EVENT). For interactive only, easy, ISSUE_CREATED, only. for email only, easy, CUSTOM_EVENT. For both, sure, enable both but when issues are created by email, the assignee (an any other notification scheme recipient) gets a mail twice. In 1.7.x, its becomes possible to detect whether an issue was created by email or not: - https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Inhibit+sending+of+an+Issue+Event+notification Doesn't help you in 1.6.x. Options are limited, you can setup a hybrid where Event Listener has ISSUE_CREATED (only) and you depend (only) on the Profile > Notifications > Notify user of issue creation.

J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2015

Ok...we'll be be bit by that pre1.7.x scenario then. We need to support both external and internal. Oh well...gives me more fodder to try to get a Jira upgrade done.

Suggest an answer