JEMH - Can we use "participants" custom field from the Jira Toolkit to collect emails, Name ?

HungD November 6, 2013

Because I am not sure what is the value type of the "participants" custom fields, will it be able to store
1. emails address of sender, addressee?
2. Name of sender for jira user or none jira users
3. username of jira-users

I am assuming we can only store username in case 3. like the core field of jira (reporter, watchers...)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2013

Participants are generally a JIRA multi-user picker type, so, you must have a JIRA account in order to be added to that list.

JEMH supports two flavours of email only users, those without accounts, requiring no ongoing admin where email addresses only are stored in a TEXT custom field, and for users who have a JIRA account but not the right to login interactively, the second variety of users I think will be suitable for your use. You have a choice of auto-creating users within JEMH, and assigning them a common email-users group (as JIRA security permissions will now need to apply to that group).

As account holders, you will need to tweak how the Sender and Addressee processing options are used, switching from email address being used to JIRA users.

Event Listener configuration that was setup for email only users wont now work as there are no 'email' addresses stored. By configuring an auto-join group such as email-users, the JEMH Event Listener notification for JIRA users has a 'filter' to treat events for users who are in a nominated group as non-jira users, to 'switch' the handling of the event (or not) to the Non-JIRA users notification choices, thereby retaining existing event notifications and template selections whilst still permitting all normal JIRA interactive users to continue getting notifications (from JEMH or via the Project selection if you prefer).

Suggest an answer