JEMH: Adding Distribution Lists/User Groups to custom field

Marc Dworkin October 1, 2013

Hi,

Currently, we have JEMH set up such that users that are included on an email, that are set up in JIRA, get added to a custom field ISSUE_USERS.

We would like the same to work for distribution lists that we have set up as groups in JIRA. So for example, if we had distribution list "User Group" <user-group@domain.com>, set up in JIRA as group "User Group", and an email had "User Group" <user-group@domain.com> on the cc, we would like JEMH to add "User Group" to an ISSUE_GROUPS custom field.

Thanks!

Marc

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2013

Hi Marc,

OK, so there are two points here,

Distrbiution lists (DL) are broken out into individual members when found. This is because a DL may have a JEMH inbound address as a member or may comprise of users who have JIRA accounts and should be added as watchers rather than just added to the custom field.

If you manually set a DL addressee as a custom field value, it will trigger a group notification to that address. as values aren't removed, only added, a situation would then occur whereby followups from the list recipients back to the list and JEMH inbox address, could result in both an inviduals email as well as the manually added DL entry, i.e. resulting in duplication notifications, possibly...

You could create 'another' cusotm field that JEMH did not update, that contained your ISSUE_GROUPS field that was manually managed, the JEMH Event Listener just needs to include it in the CSV list of fields that can contain addresses. But as the addresses are (currently) broken out, this would also result in duplicates.

Potentially, a way to make this work would be to have a specific DL processing option, whereby the DL was left unexpanded. This doesnt exist yet but if it were implemented, would require that you did not include JEMH incoming mailbox as a member, or a mail loop would result.

Is this what you think would solve your problem? If so, I can create an issue to get it implemented. New features are now feeding into JIRA 6.1+

Marc Dworkin November 4, 2013

Hi Andy,

I apologize for the delay responding -- I do not understand your proposed solution.

Best,

Marc

Marc Dworkin November 5, 2013

Hi Andy,

Rereading this I think I have it -- you are suggesting that if I send an email to a unexpanded dl, JEMh could add that to the ISSUE_GROUPS, but if the JEMH incoming mailbox is in that group it will cause an infinite loop..

That would work for me.

Best,

Marc

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2013

Hi Marc, tick if answer was good for you?

Marc Dworkin November 7, 2013

Please let me know when the feature is available in JEMH. Thanks!

Like Vlado Nestorovski likes this
Marc Dworkin November 27, 2013

Any update?

Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2013

JEMH evolves continually, the group expansion (from the versions ) came in at 1.3.20, and has been improved a little since then. if you have a use case that is not covered please raise a feature request with more details?

0 votes
Dmitriy Brin September 16, 2015

Hi Andy,

Can you please confirm if Distrbiution lists are still broken out into individual members when found?

I am including a distribution list in the CC and none of the constituent users are added as watchers.  How do I troubleshoot this?

Dmitriy

0 votes
Marc Dworkin November 5, 2013

Hi Andy,

Rereading this I think I have it -- you are suggesting that if I send an email to a unexpanded dl, JEMh could add that to the ISSUE_GROUPS, but if the JEMH incoming mailbox is in that group it will cause an infinite loop..

That would work for me.

Best,

Marc

Suggest an answer