Its is Weird/new for me, not sure if you all knew this already and why

KRC November 28, 2017

We have a project and a custom issue type, we use a numerically based priority custom field across this issue type and in this issue type screens we never used a jira default priority field and for some reason, i see this priority field as minor in details view on a single ticket, just one out of 460 tickets which are based on the custom issue type. Why is this happening?

This happens on ticket view screen. We have default screen for all issue operations. Am i missing anything here?

1.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2017

Not really missing anything.

Jira will display the priority (and some other system fields) if they have data, whether they are on your view screens or not.  In this case, even though you don't use the system Priority, this issue has somehow had one applied, so Jira shows it.

The usual culprits are (unusually) an admin making a mistake in setup and temporarily enabling the system field long enough for a user to populate it, and (the most common) an issue moving from a project where system Priority is used to one where it is not

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2017

I'd suspect the latter. Check the issue history tab to see if it was moved. Sometimes the default Priority will get set on issues and appear unexpectedly.

To hide the standard Priority field you can use a field configuration, but it may mess up the default reports for the project in older versions of Jira.

KRC November 28, 2017

Thank you, Nic and Matt for sharing your knowledge.

Suggest an answer