It's possible migrating projects from JIRA 3 to JIRA 7?

Jorge Mora July 16, 2017

Hi!

I have a JIRA 3 and JIRA 7. We've been using JIRA 3 all this time. Now, we want to use the latest version of JIRA.

Update JIRA 3 to JIRA 7 is a fairly complex procedure. We need to export JIRA 3 projects to JIRA 7.

But, the zip that generates XML Backup in JIRA 3 is not valid when you import it into JIRA 7.

Any help?

Regards,

Jorge

1 answer

2 votes
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2017

Dear Jorge,

As far as I am aware you will have to do certain upgrade steps; You will first need to upgrade to JIRA 4.4.5

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/upgrading-jira-3-x-data-to-jira-6-x-251004540.html

Above steps are for upgrading data.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2017

You'll need to go further if you're planning to use project import.  From 4.4.5, you need to upgrade again to 5.2, then 6.4, then 7.  Project import requires that the source and target systems are on the same version.

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2017

Dear Nic,

This is indeed correct and also pointed out on the linked documentation;

follow the instructions in the general Upgrading JIRA guide, as well

If you're upgrading to JIRA 7.0, you should consult the Migration hub. JIRA 7.0 contains functionality that affects your user management, application access and log in permissions, and it's very important that you understand the requirements and the implications before you upgrade. The Migration hub has all this information in one handy space.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy

Jorge Mora July 18, 2017

In a test instance with JIRA 5, I've tried performing an XML Backup.

That zip I could import it into a JIRA 7 without any problem.

So. Is really necessary realize the entire update?

Regards,

Jorge.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2017

Generally, yes, it is.

The importer in 7 is a little bit more robust than the ones for 6, but we've found it can quietly lose data if you try to import from xml created by 5 or 6.

Suggest an answer