Ist it possible to install JIRA on a Hetzner vServer?

Dennis Laudenbach November 16, 2014

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2014

Should be, if you pick one that has enough resources to run it (it can be a bit heavy on a server, and a lot of the lower-end virtual servers available aren't quite good enough - look for a minimum of 1Gb memory)

You'll need to be able to log in to the server on the command line, and upload the installation files.  Ideally, you should have root/admin so that you can set it up as a service and use dedicated users for it.

Dennis Laudenbach November 17, 2014

Thanks for your reply Nic!

Starting with the smallest Hetzner vServer (singleCore, 512MB RAM, 20GB HDD) I guess 512MB is not enough memory:

# There is insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment to continue.
# Native memory allocation (mmap) failed to map 401342464 bytes for committing reserved memory.
# Possible reasons:
#   The system is out of physical RAM or swap space
#   In 32 bit mode, the process size limit was hit

Unfortunately the "JIRA Server Hardware Requirements" are not clearly respectively talking about multiCore CPU...

"For a small number of projects (10-20) with 1,000 to 5,000 issues in total and about 100-200 users, a recent server (multicore CPU) with 2 GB of available RAM and a reasonably fast hard drive (7200rpm or faster) should cater for your needs."

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+Requirements

...looks like multiCore CPU is a knockOut criteria for Hetzners vServers sad

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2014

Actually, no, a multiCore CPU is not an absolute requirement. It's good to have if you can, but even the latest version of JIRA can be persuaded to run fine on a single core. The problem here is the memory. I would never try to run a multi-user Jira in less than 512Mb RAM, and even for low-usage ones, I reach for 1Gb as a start. On top of the memory you're going to allocate to JIRA, you need to let the operating system have some working space. Again, I'd start at 512Mb for a Linux box (and a lot more for Windows). In other words, 512Mb on that machine you've specified is far too low - you really want at least 1Gb, with 512Mb for Jira/Java and leave the other half for the OS

0 votes
Andy Runge November 17, 2014

Hi Dennis,

I know the Hetzner environment and it´s not a bad idea to choose them. But I think, it´s not possible with 512MB RAM. I´ve tried JIRA with Linux (PostgreSQL) and Windows Server (MSSQL Express) and you have to remember that you still need some resources for the database. If you have to host the db on the same machine, it will be really slow.

Actually I use JIRA + Stash onto the same host (W2K8R2) and assigned 6 GB of RAM. The db is on another machine. It´s OK, but the performance could be a little bit better. 

The problem is the startup, because the system will load the whole environment and while the plugins are loaded you can see a significant performance leak. After startup is done, it is even more better smile

You have to take care about future needs, maybe you want more plugins, you have to use the benefits of SSL encryption, you need external access to the system, you want single sign on or Active Directory integration, and so on... All these things requires more system resources so it´s an good idea to keep it in mind while planning the system configuration.

Good luck!

Suggest an answer