Issuetype Template Content Based On Options Selected From A Dropdown In A Custom Field

Matthew_Mills November 14, 2017

I would like to be able to provide a series of predefined templates for our developers to complete when writing up dev changes.

The scenario would something like this -

A developer has been given an RFC document as a result of an internal change process. In this example it could be - adding a new field to a form in our CRM system.

The developer or BA would then create the task ticket in JIRA. What we would like is based on a selection in a custom field, called lets say "Change Type" an option called "New Field" based on this selection could the description field be pre-populated with a table using wiki markup that contains the fields required.

This would be different to a template needed for say a new view, or form.

Is there a way of generating templates based on field selections else where on the form in JIRA?

4 answers

4 votes
Ethan Foulkes November 15, 2017

Hi Matt,

You can do this using the Power Scripts add-on, which can also do countless other things you will likely want to do with Jira.

I understand the first part of your question and it sounds like you then want to automate the description field based on selection of the 2nd field. This can be done but I'm not exactly sure what you want to populate it with.

Here is a video tutorial walking you through the first part for how to show a custom field based on selection in another custom field.

These links will give you some background on how to set data in fields:

Add request participants automatically

Copy field value from parent.

Default values for system fields.

I hope this helps!

0 votes
Matthew_Mills January 15, 2018

Sorry for the lack of response, I haven't had notifications turned on. 

I will have a look at the suggestions provided

Matt

0 votes
Justin Evans
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2017
0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2017

Hello,

I think you can not do it out of the box. But if you have Adaptivist Scriptrunner plugin, you could develop a behavour. You would need to write some code in groovy/java

You can read more about behavours here:

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/4.3.1/jira/behaviours-overview.html

Matthew_Mills November 14, 2017

Thanks Alexey

I will look into that and see if that does what we need

Matt

Suggest an answer