Issues with "Base Swimlanes on" Stories

Jeanna Knowles July 12, 2021

Hi we are having problems getting our Swimlanes to group by Story with Sub-task under their parent. 
I have checked pertaining articles and made changes based on those suggestions. 
- I have checked to be sure stories is selected
2021-07-12_12-12-09.jpg
-I have checked the filter query to be sure it was very minimal
2021-07-12_12-13-51.jpg
-I have compared it to other boards that are working in the project and other boards of other projects and they appear to be setup correctly.
-There are tasks on stories
2021-07-12_12-16-53.jpg

Need assistance in resolving this. 

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2021

What are you actually seeing on the boards were you have a group by stories? Are they just blank without the underlying sub tasks or what exactly?

What we want to see : (story then subtasks grouped)
2021-07-12_13-52-52.jpg
What we actually get : (just the story cards)
2021-07-12_13-53-23.jpg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2021

Something isn't adding up because what you want to see, I think, is what you should see. If you do swim lane by stories you should see the story at the top and all of his children listed within the swim lane. Just to be clear in the image that you presented that's what you actually see do all of those issues have some tasks? Here is an example of what I see in my CMP test project...

2021-07-12_16-42-12.jpg

Right, that is why I can't figure out why it isn't behaving as expected. We have a lot of other projects setup with boards working and it shows the parent story and then the subtasks(as in both yours and my example). However on this particular project we have 3 boards. All 3 have Swimlanes that should be grouping by story. 2/3 do not group by story. To your question, yes, they have subtasks on them. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 12, 2021

wait, so you're saying you have three different boards for this one project and two of the three are working fine?

What I would like to see are the three filters that define the boards. I would also like to see a screenshot of your swimlane configuration for all three boards. Something has to be unique about the one board and it should be obvious and likely will be once we see it. ;-)

Correction 2/3 are not working correctly. 
I have included 4 screen shots of the filters, 3 are from the project I am working with. 1 is from another project that has worked since day 1. Just for comparison.

They are all named so hopefully it will be evident.

The swimlane config all say by "story". 

1. org.notworking 2. secondnotworking 3.works 4. diffprojectworks
OrgNotWorking.jpg
SecondNotWorking.jpgWorks.jpgDifProjectWorking.jpg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 12, 2021

Ok, I will refer to them as 1,2,3,4 here. 

I am guessing that 1 and 2 are associated with the boards that are not working? While 3 and 4 are working.

Regardless I don’t see anything strange about these filters that would explain the problem. However, one thing that would be interesting to try just for grins would be to create a new board and simply have the filter be the project - project = PW. Or you could temporarily change an existing board filter that uses the team drop-down custom field.

Other random thoughts:

• It isn’t possible that there’s some quick filter being applied here that would explain things?
  • If you set the swim lane to be none do the subtest all show up?

I changed the filter to only "project= PW" and it showed it by story correctly. But that gives us all stories in all boards. 
Also correction- it appears the second board (#2) is working correctly as well. It was new enough they didn't have many stories to pull examples from. 

So the ONLY thing I can see is  that board #1 is all in lower case- I don't know why that would be an issue.
Any other suggestions?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 12, 2021

I would try to re-create the first board completely from scratch and just see what happens. Do you be sure that the drop-down name does exist and has the proper capitalization.

And the items that are currently in progress on the board? 
They also have several sprints closed and 1 in progress, how will this affect that? 
Thanks

Jeanna Knowles July 13, 2021

This has been resolved- it ended up being that they did not add the team name to the sub-tasks; once they were added it filtered correctly.

Like Vernon Carter likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2021

ah geez. :-(

Thanks for letting me know. I would go ahead and close this Post out

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders