Issues link problem

Paolo Paciucci January 17, 2018

I have an issue into a project, which is blocked by another one.

So I did edit the issue, I did add the blocking issue in proper field and I indicated that the link type is "blocked by".

It looks correct, also the BigGantt component got this configuration.

The problem is that when I edit the issue, I can not see the linked issue anymore (the "issue" sub-field of "Linked Issue" field is empty).

I have observed that this problem exists also for different link type (e.g "blocks").

Step1: assign linked issue as "blocked by":

step01.png

Step2: verify that the link configuration has been acquired:

step02.png

Step3: edit again the issue and the link is no more present

step03.png

Is this a known Jira problem or a misuse?

Thanks

4 answers

1 vote
Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2018

I third what Alex and Piotrek said.  AND you will NOT see the link on the JIRA View Issue screen , within the BigGantt WBS section.  You will see the link on the JIRA View Issue Screen in the Links section (but ONLY if you have added the Links section to your screen configuration/schema).  

The only place you can see the link inside BigGantt is by clicking on the issue and getting the popup box that shows the details of the inbound/outbound links for that issue.

And even then,you would have to configured BigGantt to use the link type 'blocked by' as one of it's mapped link types.

1 vote
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2018

The Edit screen shown in step 3 will not show any previously linked issues. This "Linked Issues" field in the Edit or Create screen only provides you with the ability to create new links, not edit existing links.

I have not used BigGantt personally, but I'm assuming you can probably edit the existing links in the BigGantt section seen in step 2 from your original post.

0 votes
Simon Kälberer April 12, 2018

We also face a similar issue.

We use the csv-Import to import our Jira projects. In the csv-file we have three colums that define the Gantt links "End to Start" "Start to Start" and "End to End".  In the projekt import Jira states that issues and links have been succesfully imported. Issues and Links are also correctly shown in the issue view.

The problem that occurs now, is the following:

If we create a new programm based on the configuration of another programm links between issues will be shown only in a most cases. In a few cases the links are not shown and issues are not correctly planed. ( I double checked the source for mistakes but in the csv-file the link information is correct)

We also get the hint that the there is a link to another programm. How can this be? We just created a new programm from a jira project which has no dependencies.

Thanks for your help,

Simon

Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2018

Simon, I'd like to help you but I don't understand what you're saying.  Maybe some screen shots would help.

Simon Kälberer April 16, 2018

Hi Ericka, thanks for your help.

Here are three Screenshots which shows the Issue. The first one shows the Gantt-View. In the view you see that not all issues are linked. We have links on all levels shown (Subprojekt-, Work Package-, Task- and Subtask-Level)

Following Linktypes are used:

• Start to Start
  • Finish to Start

The Jira-project is imported via CSV-Import. Columns of the CSV-File are mapped to Gantt Start to Start and Gantt Finish to Start Link respectively. We use the following Synchronizers for the Gantt-View (see Screenshot 4)

Links between Issues are correctly identified in Jira. (see issue details of subtask L123456-341104009 (2nd Screenshot) and L123456-341104010 (3rd Screenshot)

In Task 341102000 No links between Subtasks are displayed in the Gantt View althoug shown in the issue details. In Task 341104000 Links are shown between subtask expect first subtask.

What can we do to get all links between issues showns correctly? We already tried to

• re-sync,
  • changed task-mode from auto in manual and back
  • changed filter so that all project issues are displayed

Gantt-View.jpgLinks Subtask L123456-341104009.jpgLinks Subtask L123456-341104010.jpgsynchronizers.jpg

Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2018

OK, I am more of a BigGantt expert than a JIRA expert so I am not sure if I am on the right track to helping you, but I have a theory.

On your 3rd screen shot, I can't see the entire Issue Detail screen, you only screenshotted the 'Issue Links' section of the screen.  Let's see the entire screen. What is the Issue that the links are assigned to?  4000 and 4010 are not linked to one another, they're both linked to ?? need to see the rest of the screen.

Are these tasks linked to some other task that is not in your Gantt? if you send the whole Issue Details screen maybe we can see what is going on. 

0 votes
Piotrek Romanczyk [SoftwarePlant]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 22, 2018

Hello @Paolo Paciucci,

I do second what @Alex Christensen wrote. The screen which you are viewing is the issue 'edit only' menu. As BigGantt uses simple Jira custom fields for its purposes, links in our plugin will also be respected once added, though will not appear in the 'edit mode'. 

You may visit our Wiki to learn more about BigGantt's dedicated custom fields and issue links ad well as linking tasks on the Gantt chart.

Kind Regards,

Piotr

Suggest an answer