Issues have a status of "CLOSED" but a resolution of "UNRESOLVED". Need to change "UNRESOLVED" to "FIXED"

Robert Quirion September 13, 2012

We had implemented a workflow and in the process realized that we forgot to include the Resolve form before closing an issue. Now I am left with 93 Issues that I am unable to flip from 'UNRESOLVED to FIXED

I did a lot of research and I have been unsuccessful in finding a way to change it unless Altassian gets involved to help out.

I want them switched to FIXED so that they no longer show on my project dashboard as unresolved.

Thank you for your assistance.

8 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2012

Most likely the closed transition do not have the resolution field in the screen. You might want to add another transition in closed step with resolved screen(it has resolution field) then use bulk transition to transit them and add the resolution to those issues.

Barbara Hamde December 11, 2019

hi, how can I add the resolution field? I can't see that option while editing the workflow

Barney December 12, 2019

See "Setting the resolution field" in https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/working-with-workflows-938847362.html#Workingwithworkflows-SettingtheResolutionfieldSettingtheresolutionfield

You either need to set it via a post function or get the user to set it via a transition screen.

• A post function is useful if you always want the same value set for a given transition.
  • Using a screen is useful if you need the user to select a particular resolution. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-issues-need-a-resolution-826873869.html has a nice summary of this.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Barney June 10, 2019

I would really recommend the Adaptavist ScriptRunner plugin for this (and many other admin functions). Use the 'Bulk Fix Resolutions' built in script to sort this out with a single click. No need to fiddle around under the hood with workflows. See https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/builtin-scripts.html

1 vote
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2016

This happens all the time unfortunately: Users aren't perfect, so they often forget to change "Unresolved" to the correct resolution when closing an issue.

So we'd really need to be able to tell JIRA to make the Resolution field Required, but only for the Resolve and/or Close transitions.

At last, after many years, Atlassian seems to have added this to the roadmap: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-5783

0 votes
Beth Starr May 12, 2020

Simple fix... create a transition from the closed status to the closed status. If the issues should have all the same resolutions, then set it with a post function. Bulk edit and transition the issues using the newly created transition. Go back and remove the transition if no longer needed. 

If the issues should have different resolutions, then on the newly created transition add the resolved screen.  Bulk edit the issues and transition using the new transition and select the resolution.  Remove the new transition if it is no longer needed.

0 votes
Godwin Omughelli December 12, 2019

Another way of solving this is to create a new project board with a proper workflow and post function set. Ensure that the workflow has reopen issue as a status.

After moving, reopen the issue, then mark as done. I just did it.

Thanks

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2012

You need to modify your workflow to allow editing in closed state as noted in this article

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Allow+editing+of+Closed+Issues

As noted above you need to make sure the screen used for closed includes the resolution field.

You should be able bulk edit in closed state.

0 votes
Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2012

Most likely the closed transition do not have the resolution field in the screen. You might want to add another transition in closed step with resolved screen(it has resolution field) then use bulk transition to transit them and add the resolution to those issues.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2012

Hi, you can do a search of all the oustanding issues you need and do a bulk edit of them (if resolution is edtable in edit screen) or you can create a temporary transition that changes the resolution and bulk transition them.

Suggest an answer