'Issues' drop down menu inaccessible: The JIRA server could not be contacted

THOMAS SEBASTIAN July 10, 2014

Hi,

We are experiencing this strange error where the 'Issues' drop down menu for one user is navailable. The message is: "The JIRA server could not be contacted. This maybe a temporary glitch or the server maybe down" when clicking on the arrow next to the 'Issues' menu. The Issue Navigator will still be accessible by clicking on the word 'Issues' itself. We are using JIRA 5.1.5.

The error that is caught in the log is:

2014-07-07 16:59:03,188 http-8080-4 ERROR w36948 1019x232729x1 gptq6w 10.238.2.22,127.0.0.1 /rest/api/1.0/menus/find_link [jira.security.util.GroupSelectorUtils] Object 'twaa1q:3' is of type com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.ofbiz.OfBizUser which cannot be converted to a Group. Needs to be a Group object or a String representing group name.

2014-07-07 16:59:03,188 http-8080-4 ERROR w36948 1019x232729x1 gptq6w 10.238.2.22,127.0.0.1 /rest/api/1.0/menus/find_link [common.error.jersey.ThrowableExceptionMapper] Uncaught exception thrown by REST service

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.atlassian.jira.security.util.GroupSelectorUtils.isUserInCustomFieldGroup(GroupSelectorUtils.java:194)

at com.atlassian.jira.security.type.GroupCF.hasIssuePermission(GroupCF.java:207)

at com.atlassian.jira.security.type.AbstractIssueFieldSecurityType.hasPermission(AbstractIssueFieldSecurityType.java:172)

at com.atlassian.jira.permission.DefaultPermissionSchemeManager.hasSchemePermission(DefaultPermissionSchemeManager.java:508)

at com.atlassian.jira.permission.DefaultPermissionSchemeManager.hasPermission(DefaultPermissionSchemeManager.java:467)

at com.atlassian.jira.permission.DefaultPermissionSchemeManager.hasSchemeAuthority(DefaultPermissionSchemeManager.java:414)

at com.atlassian.jira.security.AbstractPermissionManager.hasProjectPermission(AbstractPermissionManager.java:241)

at com.atlassian.jira.security.AbstractPermissionManager.hasPermission(AbstractPermissionManager.java:199)

at com.atlassian.jira.security.WorkflowBasedPermissionManager.hasPermission(WorkflowBasedPermissionManager.java:67)

at com.atlassian.jira.security.AbstractPermissionManager.hasPermission(AbstractPermissionManager.java:114)

at com.atlassian.jira.security.AbstractPermissionManager.hasPermission(AbstractPermissionManager.java:143) <+2>

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

---------------------------

And the error in the browser is the same:

https://jira.xxx.com.au/rest/api/1.0/menus/find_link?_=1405069982516500 (Internal Server Error)

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2014

Could you please open a support ticket and include the support.zip log files?

0 votes
THOMAS SEBASTIAN July 13, 2014

Thanks for the reply guys, ticket logged under JSP-198202

0 votes
Paresh Gandhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2014

I'm not sure but thought of putting below solution;

Recently we have installed confluence and i gave chown permission to conflunce user for directly /opt/atlassion

/var/atlassian

after i faces same issue, not able to access Issue Manu, when I click on project from porject dropdown - page not found...

then i checked jira user permission, it was not having permission on that directory. again i have jira user chown to /opt/atlassian and /var/atlassian

and for conflunce

/opt/atlassian/conflunence

/var/atlassian/application-data/conflunce

restarted jira and it started working

0 votes
pschaff01
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2014

Hi Thomas,

Is this problem occurring in more than one browser and in more than one computer? If this user tries to access JIRA with his account in another computer, does he receive the same error?

If you can, please raise a support ticket in support.atlassian.comand attach a support.zip to the ticket so we can help you to investigate the issue!

Cheers,

Pietro Schaff

Shawn Stevens July 10, 2014

We encountered a similiar issue. A single user was getting "internal server error" when clicking on the Issues drop down. I had the user try a different browser. In Chrome it fails, in Firefox it was successful.

Suggest an answer