Issues deleted from column configuration view

Whitney Weir August 23, 2016

Someone recently deleted a large number of subtasks from a JIRA space and was able to do so from the board configuration column view.  She said that she was removing columns and statuses from the board and was given the option to do one bulk delete of everything from that view which resulted in removing 400 sub-tasks from the JIRA space.  I was unaware of the ability to delete in a way other than using the bulk update process from a filter.  I am also unsure how this was possible because whenever I have been in the column configuration view, I have been able to move statues to the Unmapped Statuses column but I have not been able to delete any statuses or any issues.  Trying to understand how this was possible.  Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Deleted user August 23, 2016

I am unaware and unable to find any way to get an issue delete option from the Column Management tab of a Board Configuration. On the other hand if she went to the Board Filter, that could certainly get you there...

Might want to have her show you what she did.

I agree with Nic on limiting the Delete capability in the permissions - we have limited that to Admins only.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2016

There are several ways to delete issues, but they're all controlled by the "delete" permission in the project permission scheme.  Bulk-edit just lets you delete many in one go, rather than have to go into the issue view for each issue and click the delete option in the tools menu.  It sounds like that someone has the permission to delete, while you do not.

Most people recommend that you limit that, or even disable it completely to prevent such accidents.

Whitney Weir August 23, 2016

I also have the delete permission so I should be able to see all the available delete options.  The person did not individually go into each issue and delete it, but was given the option to delete all issues pertaining to a board's filter from the column configuration view.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2016

There is no way to do that from the column configuration view unless you've got an add-on that inserts it.  I don't think she's reporting the same place you are looking - it sounds like she's wandered off to the filter and then used bulk-edit.

You should find you can delete from the plain JIRA issue view, bulk-edit, from the options menu in the navigator and even the boards.  If you have delete issue in the project the issue is in.

Suggest an answer