Issues automation

rTrack Support January 5, 2017

we are tracking the customer support issues with the help of JIRA .

For that we are creating two projects for a single customer with the name like 

customer name - customer (project 1) 

customer name - internal (project 2)

at present we are using the same workflows for both cusstomer and internal projects and also for all customers .

when the customer creates the tickets in the customer project at the same the issue needs to be created in the internal project also .

when internal people changing the status in the internal projects will it reflect with the related customer projects ...

i can create two workflows that is for internal as seperate and customer for seperate .

when customer a creates the issue in project aa that automatically creates into project ab

when customer b creates the issue in project ba that will automatically creates into project bb .

is it possible  only with two workflows for all customer projects ???

if you cant able to understand please let us know .

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2017

Hi,

You can implement the behavior you have described using JIRA Workflow Toolbox using a single workflow. Anyway, you can use 2 different workflows if you need to tweak the workflow for each kind of project.

In order to set a relationship between pairs of projects (customer / internal) we will use project properties. Example: Let's suppose that we have 2 related project with keys PKC (for customers) and PKI (for inernal usage). We will add in the description of project PKC the following string: {siblingProject=PKI}, and in the description of project PKI the following string: {siblingProject=PKC}.

For creating issues you will use Create issues and subtasks post-function. Use the following configuration in parameter Project:

Captura de pantalla 2017-01-06 a las 17.45.23.png

String expression is:

projectProperty("siblingProject")

You will also use parameter Issue Links for linking current issue with the issue that is being created. I recommend you to use a issue link type that has no other usage in the project, so that you can identify the sibling issues unmistakably,

For transitioning sibling issue each time one issue is transitioned manually, you should insert in each transition of the workflow post-function Write field on linked issues or subtasks with the following configuration:

• Source value: Target status (in current issue)
  • Target field: Issue status
  • Issue link type: check the issue link type you are using for linking sibling issues.

Please, let me know if you have any difficulty implementing the described solution.

rTrack Support January 9, 2017

Thanks Fidel ,

Great work ..

I have one question .

These project properties are predefined or can be defined by our own .

rTrack Support January 9, 2017

Will this workflow toolbox read the content or the field of JIRA metadata Fields .

Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2017

JIRA Workflow Toolbox's project properties are custom defined by the user. You can create as many properties as you need.

I haven't tested JIRA Workflow Toolbox against Metadata for JIRA, but most probably it will.

1 vote
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2017

Hi,

you totally can have a single workflow for all your customer-facing projects, and a single workflow for your internal projects. The only problem is with cloning the issue from the custom project to the internal project, because the name of the internal project varies. This is something that is supported by JMWE for JIRA Cloud, but not by JMWE for JIRA Server yet. For that, you'll have to wait for version 5.0.

David

1 vote
Betsy Walker {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2017

Hi @rTrack Support,

Do you have to have one internal project per customer? If all the internal tickets could go into a single project, then you could use the Update on Transition for JIRA add-on to create tickets in Project B when tickets are created in any other project using the same workflow.

This recipe shows how a post function supplied by that add-on can create a ticket within the same project, but the process is very similar if the ticket is in another project. For the creation to succeed, you need to either:

• Ensure permissions are set appropriately so that people with “create issue” permission in Project A also have “create issue” permission in Project B, or
  • Use the “Acting user” parameter to specify the userid under which the Project B issue should be created, and ensure that this userid has “create issue” permission in Project B.

Hope this helps!

rTrack Support January 6, 2017

Hi Besty ,

For a every customer we are having 2 projects (internal+customer) .

when customer creates new issues in customer project the issues need to create with the respective internal project only .

Betsy Walker {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2017

Well, @rTrack Support, you could still use Create on Transition for JIRA add-on (I had mistakenly referenced a similar add-on, Update on Transition for JIRA, in my previous response), but you would need one post function per customer.

Example: Assuming your customers include Twitter and Facebook, then post function #1 would have a condition based on the project being "Twitter - customer", and other parameters indicating to create the issue in the Twitter - internal" project, and post function #2 would have a condition based on the project being "Facebook - customer", and other parameters indicating to create the issue in the Facebook - internal" project.

You would need to "maintain" the workflow as customers are added, to add another post function.

0 votes
rTrack Support January 6, 2017

@Fidel Castro .. please help me on this . 

i am using JIRA workflow toolbox .

Suggest an answer