Issues are in the Portfolio scope section, but not the schedule

Nikolaj Raahauge December 20, 2017

As seen in the attached image, issues which are in Cross Project Releases (2) as well as 1 'local' jira project release, are shown in the scope section, but are not available to be scheduled. Other projects' contributions to the CPR works fine.

There is an info about 'This issue is not appearing in the schedule. This may be because: You need to recalculate your plan' - but rescheduling does not work.

Everything looks fine from the perspective of the local CPR.

Seems related to this other issue, I have only filtered on the CPR's and a team.

Dates of all releases are calculated.

jira-portfolio-scheduling issue.png

3 answers

0 votes
Nikolaj Raahauge January 2, 2018

Hi Amanda (and happy new year!),

Yes, the plan has been calculated. I've filtered on a specific Cross Project Release in the screenshot, which gives me stories in the scope window, which do not show up in the schedule window. They do, however, have the mentioned warning (about reacalculating the plan) in the scope window, right hand side).

Sorry for not explaining this, but the Commit error came in relation to a maintenance issue which has since been solved. But when I reported this problem, the CPR's had been created several days before.

Amanda {Praecipio} January 2, 2018

Without seeing the releases and the estimates in the Scope view (because you expanded the error) it's difficult to diagnose what's happening here. 

I would suggest you add all the columns to the Scope Window (Estimate, Original Estimate, Release, Teams, Status, etc) to see what the scheduling algorithm is actually doing. There are so many things it could be, it's hard to see what it actually is. 

Another suggestion is that since you have it filtered by Team as well, make sure the Team and the Source are tied together on the Teams tab. Then make sure the velocity or capacity is set for the Team. You don't need Team Members unless you have Skills/Stages enabled as well. If you have skills/stages enabled, you must have Team Members and you must have the skills and stages set for each Team Member. 

Nikolaj Raahauge January 3, 2018

Thank you Amanda!

I'm currently looking into some of the queries behind the team boards; when I enable all fields in the Scope section, I can see that basically all values are calculated (including team), but this is only for some teams, some are working fine.

I'll be back :)

0 votes
Amanda {Praecipio} December 28, 2017

Hi, Nikolaj! 

Looks like there are a couple of things going on here. The first question is whether or not you've clicked the Calculate button? I'm assuming you have. :) 

First, the scope should either be estimated or tagged to a Release to get it to show up in the Schedule. If you do both, that's when you see the red/green timeline change if you're over capacity. 

Second, the Commit error could be because you need to be able to create Versions in the Source Jira Projects in order to either create or group CPRs together. 

0 votes
Nikolaj Raahauge December 20, 2017

Additional info; if I from the same screen create a story, give it story points and assign it to the CPR I've filtered for, it shows up on the timeline. If I try to commit the issue I get an error, though.

Suggest an answer