IssueInputParameters won't change issue type

Jón Arnar Briem October 18, 2017

I am trying to change issue type using IssueInputParameters and my code looks roughly like this:

log.debug(oldIssue.getIssueTypeId()); //outputs "5"
IssueInputParameters issueInputParameters = this.issueService.newIssueInputParameters();
issueImputParameters.setIssueTypeId("6");

log.debug(issueInputParameters.getIssueTypeId()); //outputs "6"
IssueService.UpdateValidationResult updateValidationResult = issueService.validateUpdate(authcontext.getUser(), oldIssue.getId(), issueInputParameters);
if (updateValidationResult.isValid()) {
IssueService.IssueResult result = issueService.update(authcontext.getUser(), updateValidationResult);
alteredIssue = result.getIssue();
}
log.debug(alteredIssue.getIssueTypeId()); //outputs "5"

This works fine on my local machine, but when I deploy it to our test server running a more complicated Jira system (more custom workflows etc) it doesn't change issue type. Other values such as summary or custom field values get edited just fine.

I've tried different combinations of old issue type, new issue type but it never seems to change. Does anyone have a clue what might be causing this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2017

Can you edit the issuetype on existing issues within your Prod system?  If you have different fieldconfigs or workflows, it may not let you just 'change' the issuetype.

Jón Arnar Briem October 19, 2017

You are probably right, each issue type on prod has its own workflow (95% identical though)  whereas they share a workflow on my local instance. I can edit issue types on prod but I have to use the move functionality. 

The only times that we want to change issue types is just after the issue has been created, before any work is done so I was hoping that Jira would be able to figure out the transition.

Can you confirm that as long as each issue type has a different workflow editing issue type via issueInputParameters is not possible?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2017

No, I can't confirm that. It's simply how I understand the behavior, I'm not sure where it's enforced or not.

Suggest an answer