Issue with using a seperate workflow for subtasks?

Russell Brown January 21, 2012

I have a complicated workflow setup for issues in my project. The issue types are very specific and while the top level needs this complication, the sub-tasks only need 3 different statuses.

I've setup a seperate workflow and I've used the workflow schemes to assign the subtask issue types to a different workflow scheme. Dispite this. When I choose the issue type scheme and the parent workflow scheme, the sub-task issues are still associated with the default workflow.

I can't get my workflow to take presidence over the default and I can't remove the types from the default issue type scheme...

I can add a ton of logic to the main workflow, but I was hoping to avoid this. I simply shouldn't have to do this...

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2012

You can definitely do this. Just associate the new workflow with the subtask issue type in the workflow scheme used by your project. See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Activating+Workflow#ActivatingWorkflow-Whatisaworkflowscheme

Russell Brown January 21, 2012

Thank you Nic and Jobin. Somehow in my weekend haze I was creating multiple workflow schemes and expecting to use two of them. Dummy me was not associating all items to seperate workflows in ONE scheme... Sorry, I feel very dumb now. I should never have not figuered that out. Now I feel like one of my end users :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2012

It's not brilliantly intuitive - I remember struggling with schemes when I started out. Especially screen schemes. This is the price we pay for flexibility :-)

Indranil Mondal January 24, 2016

I am having similar kind of issue... in one project there is one workflow scheme, under that, there are 2 issue type with same workflow. I added another issue type ( sub task) with another workflow and that subtask was also added under the issue type scheme of the project. Still when I am trying to create sub task, its not taking the assigned workflow, its taking the workflow of the other 2 issue type ( not the default one). Can anyone help? Am I missing something?? I have different field configuration for different issue types.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2016

I think you need to show us the workflow scheme you have and tell us what the issue types are.

(Fields don't matter here)

Indranil Mondal January 25, 2016

wferror.JPG

This is how my workflow scheme looks like. Actually incident and event issue type have same workflow but by name they are different. Subtask 'add user' getting incident/event workflow not the assigned or JIRA workflow. Also, 'service request user workflow new' is also attached to some issue types in another project.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2016

No, that's not quite right.  Incident and event have different workflows.  Doesn't matter how similar they are technically, they're separate items.

The scheme looks fine to me, which makes me think it's simply not associated with the right project(s)

Indranil Mondal January 27, 2016

Actually its working.. I was not able to recognize it, as I was using a wrong screen scheme.... Thanks Nic and everyone..

0 votes
James Mullinax April 12, 2017

I have followed these steps but I am still having problems getting the workflow for the subtask to be different from the main issue type.  Here are the steps I have gone through:

1) Created a workflow for the main issue and a separatet workflow for the subtask.

2) Created a workflow scheme, associated it to the project, and associated each issue type.

3) Associated each issue with an issue type scheme.

4) Published the workflows and workflow scheme.

I'm not sure what else there is to do.  Everything looks lined up.  I've done a similar procedure where I created two issues, assigned them to the same project, and created separate workflows for them (neither was a subtask).  If I select one it creates the appropriate workflow and if I select the other, it chooses the other workflow.  Where I have problems is with the task/subtask workflow separation.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

0 votes
tiffany nguyen June 11, 2015

Thanks Nic.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2015

In that case, you've not followed the steps in full. Check your workflow scheme maps your subtasks to workflows that you want, then that the scheme is associated with the project.

0 votes
tiffany nguyen June 10, 2015

Hi Nic, I have followed these steps but my sub-task is still associated with the default workflow. Do you know why and how to fix it? Thanks.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2012

Your sentences around what you've done with the workflow schemes seem a little confused. Jobin's given you the main link you need, but it's important to understand that what you need to do is:

1) Create a workflow scheme that says

Issue types A, B and C use workflow 1

Issue types D and E (which are subtask types) use workflow 2

2) Associate that with a project.

3) Make sure the issue type scheme includes issue types A to E

Suggest an answer