Issue with setting a default value for a multi user picker

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2012

I have a field called "Approved by" which is a multi user picker. I've configured the default value to be everyone who takes part in the approval discussion for an issue, and my thought is it's easier to delete the names of people who weren't in attendance than to have to type everyone's name each time. This field is then placed on a screen that's attached to the "approve" transition. The field shows up just fine, but the default values aren't populating, and if you don't type anything in, nothing is saved (thus proving it's not just a display issue, the defaults aren't being saved).

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any ideas on what I might be able to do to get the default value for this field to display?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2012

Fixed it. There were 2 issues that might have contributed:

1) The custom field was on the "create" screen in addition to the "approve" screen, and the defaults showed just fine on the create screen

2) I was testing with an old issue that already had no value for that field. I guess JIRA treated "empty" or "null" as a value that overrode the default value.

Solution: removed the field from the create screen and created a new issue (thus leaving the "approved by" field untouched), then moved it to "approved" and the default values for the field appeared.

Sometimes all it takes is posting the question to think of a solution.

Suggest an answer