Issue with notifications on jira

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2013

Hi All

We have a project role - Default watchers and this role is added into the notification scheme for all events. This role is used for adding members to all issue update notifications by default.

The issue I am facing is that one of our users is complaining that she is only getting notification emails when issues are created but not for any other events such as commented, or issue updated etc etc.

What could be going wrong?

PS: - This user has browse project permissions (She has issues assigned to her)

- No issue security scheme is associated with this project

- Correct notification and permission schme is associated with the project

- No emails are stuck in the mail queue

- The issue is not replicable at my end. I created a test user, added to this project role and that test user was getting all notifications.

Rahul

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2013

Frankly, you've done 99% of the debugging here, and actually ruled out a Jira problem!

As the user is getting some emails, you know the delivery and transport of mail settings are all correct.

You've checked she's part of the right schemes and can see what she needs to

Trying it with a test user, who is set up the same as her, and not having a problem with that is exactly the right thing to try next. As that works, it's pretty much proof that the issue is not on Jira.

I'd look in her spam folders, and check any email rules she has next - if someone accidentally flags one Jira email as spam, some clients will automatically bin any similar emails from then on.

Finally, the last place to look is on the email server logs - they should have records of emails sent by Jira and whether they were delivered to the client (even if the client ignored/binned them instantly)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2013

Thanks Nic. I have asked the user for any email rules that she might have and in all probability i feel that is the root cause of the issue. Thanks for your detailed response.

Rahul

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

HI NIc

thanks for your response.

The problem was with the user's email server which was blocking the JIRA emails.

Rahul

0 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2013

You can use JIRA Admin Helper plugin to verify the settings, but as Nic mentioned it sounds like the problem is located outside of JIRA.

Henning

Suggest an answer