Issue with jira-administrators group

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2013

I have a user (user-x) who is a member of jira-administrators group. I want to remove his administration permission from one of the projects in JIRA but I do not want this user (user-x) to be removed from the group jira-administrators.

A more detailed description :

I have 3 projects (Project-x, Project-y, Project-z) and a user (user-x) who is a member of the group jira-administrators . Now I want to remove the admin rights of this user from a project (Project-x) but I want this user to remain a member of the group jira-administrators.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2013

Have asked them. And they will do that in their next release. But I'll have to wait till then.. :-(

0 votes
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

@nic - I need to have the user management as I described due to a JIRA-Plugin. The plugin requires the user to be in the JIRA-administrator group if I want to have admin rights in the plugin (not in JIRA). Now I am struck with a case where I want admin access in the plugin for (user-x) but do not wish to have this user the admin rights in JIRA. But any ways, thanks for your answers. :-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

Ah, well, that's down to the plugin I'm afraid. It's requiring Jira-admin to use it, so you're stuck.

Might be worth asking the authors to do something more flexible?

0 votes
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

@nic - If I remove the group "jira-administrators" from the "administrate project" permission, then that will mean that all the members of that group will be removed. I do not intend to do that. I want only a single member of the group to be removed from admin rights. The rest of the members must have the admin rights. Is that possible? I haven't been able to find any such possibility.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

No, that's the whole point of using group access. What you are telling Jira is "people in this group have admin rights". So, to stop an individual having admin rights you need to remove them from the group, or stop the group from having admin rights. As you want them in the group, then your only option is to pull the whole group.

Once you've removed the group from the permission though, you can easily put the other members back in. You could put them in a different group and use that. You could change the roles to allow individuals.

Or you could remove that single user from the admin group, set up a new group for "admin only" and put them in there, then grant it the global admin rights. You'd have two groups of admins, but that's not a real problem.

(This is why I tend not to use jira-admins group to do anything other than say "this person is a Jira admin" and avoid it's use in project level stuff.)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

I suspect that you need to remove the group "jira-administrators" from the "administrate project" permission. It might be being granted by jira-administrators being in the role in the project, or directly in the permission scheme, but you need to find out, and pull it.

Suggest an answer