Issue with importing issues with attachments

Lara Wilkinson May 14, 2013

We are moving our Jira instance onto a locally hosted version, instead of the cloud hosted version. Unfortunately it seems as though the latest build we can get for the locally hosted is well behind the cloud based version we're currently on. This means it's NOT possible to migrate each project in its entirety across to the local version.

Currently we have 1600 issues across multiple projects that we need to keep for historical purposes.

These issues contain comments, history of workflow and attachments (eg wireframes and so on) which is invaluable data to the business.

Is there a way we can create a new project in our locally hosted version of Jira, import all the issues including their comments and attachments. The only import functionality I can see is via CSV/XML. This would not contain all the comments and all the attachments.

There must be a simple way of getting around this problem, that doesn't involve going through and downloading attachments from every issue.

I also noticed there doesn't seem to be a way to get a report on which issues in Jira do have attachments.

2 answers

0 votes
Lara Wilkinson May 21, 2013

Hi Janet,

I do mean one version is on demand and one version is local. We are looking to move projects from the on demand version to the locally hosted version. The locally hosted version has a number of existing projects on it (it's not blank).

Since the latest version available for our local instance is still much older than the latest version available for on demand, we are unable to migrate the projects across (which would have been the ideal solution).

Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2013

Lara,

If the local instance is not JIRA 5.2.x nor JIRA 6.0 , I believe that you have 2 option:

• upgrade local instance to the latest one then, perform the project import. As for the attachment, you can backup both the XML and attachment from your OnDemand instance. If unsure, contact OnDemand Support for assistance.
  • CSV import. This would require you to do manual update in the CSV file to specifically insert the comments and attachment file into the issue's row.

-Janet

0 votes
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2013

Hi Lara,

When you mention on Cloud Hosted Version, do you mean your current instance is hosted by Atlassian OnDemand or any other solution ?

Do you mean that the Cloud Hosted is in newer version and the Local Hosted is much older ? What are the versions involve here ?

Do you have a brand new Local Hosted without any data yet ? If it is still empty, the best is for you to upgrade your Local Hosted to match the Cloud Hosted so that you can restore the XML and of course the attachment as well. If the Local Hosted has some data (issues or project) already exist, I think it is best to perform the Restore a Project From XML Backup method to migrate the data. Again, the versions and etc must match for the Cloud and Local version. Project Import also allow all comments and attachments to be migrated together.

P/s: JIRA 6.0 has been released

-Janet

Suggest an answer