Issue with failed logins

timothyfinch November 28, 2017

Hello :)

Running Jira with Crowd, authentication via AD.

We have a user who is struggling to log in. So many failed log in's it now asks for a CAPTCHA.

I have gone into the USer Administration and tried to "Reset failed login count" but when I click the button it does NOT reset the log in count. I have tried this a number of times previous and its always worked as expected.

I have physically changed the log in count in the Jira database, changing the current and total failed log ins to 0

However, back in the Jira application it still states the user has the original number of failed log ins. And the reset failed login count button still has no effect.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how we can resolve it?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2017

Anytime you make a change to SQL for the sake of Jira, you usually have to stop Jira first in order to make sure that any caches of such data are expunged.    You could also restart Jira now to do the same. 

Also I think Josh is on the right path there, but I would add that it's probably a good idea to follow the Further Troubleshooting section of this KB Unable to login to JIRA applications.   This guide will have to enable some debug logging on specific packages.  This allows Jira to log more detailed information about why a user login is failing.  In my experience the default settings don't really tell you enough information about why a particular user might be failing to login.

0 votes
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2017

Can you check your logs, specifically atlassian-jira-security.log and post it here?

Suggest an answer