Issue with Labels in JIRA

Srilatha Pokala September 14, 2017

Labels field is available for inline editing. I was able to add label for the first time then the pencil icon disappears.

Since pencil icon disappears after the first label add, i cannot remove or update labels anymore.

Is there any configuration so the pencil icon on labels appears all the time?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2017

That pencil icon should always appear when you hover your mouse cursor over the label values.    Unless of course your user account in JIRA does not actually have the Edit permission on this issue OR there has been a workflow property set to prevent the use of this feature.  In those cases, without the permission to edit an issue, you would also lose the ability to inline edit an issue.

The KB How to disable inline editing explains different methods that could be used to prevent the inline editing in a JIRA instance.   I would recommend checking those aspects first to make sure that another admin did not change the permissions here or implement a workflow property change to prevent this working in that way.

Could you let me know what version of JIRA you are using? Also which browsers this happens on?

If you click the Edit button in the top row, do you have the ability to edit the labels in that manner?   Do you in fact have that Edit button in the top left corner of the issue details page?

Just trying to understand the extent of this problem.

Srilatha Pokala September 15, 2017

Thank you for your reply Andy.

We are using JIRA 7.0.5 version.

As you mentioned, i did check inline edit configuartion, In line edit is set to OFF

Yes, user can see EDIT button (label was not defined in edit screen)

I found a ticket (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-41247)  (When you disable the inline edit configuration (Administration > System > General Configuration), it will not show the pencil icon/inline edit icon when there are existing value in the label field.)

Suggest an answer