Issue watchers not receiving email notifications

Swarnava Sengupta October 20, 2016

i have watched several issue on our JIRA software, However I am not receiving any email when there is an update going on. What am I missing?

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 20, 2016

Hi, 

Watchers will get notifications if:

• there is a Notification Scheme configured in the JIRA Project and
  • the "All Watchers" recipient is configured for events in the Notification Scheme

Either of these is not true. Please check your projects and the notification schemes.

Tibor

David Krall December 8, 2016

I have almost the exact same issue, however:

• We do have a Notification Scheme configured for our JIRA Project, and the users I want to receive the notifications are correctly configured in our Notification Scheme for all desired Event Types.
    • The users are contained in a multi user select custom field, but still should not matter.
    • I also have checked the users with the Notification Helper and it confirms they should receive notifications.
  • I have also verified we are not using Issue Security.
  • The Browse  Projects permission on our Permission Scheme includes Service Desk Customer - Portal Access.
  • The only thing that does not seem to jive is that notifications under Project settings.
    • It seems to have a different set of users that it sends notifications to and the users I previously assigned to the Notifications settings for the project are not included here.
    • When I send myself the test email it works, and my team does receive these notifications, but it seems like JIRA doesn't really see the custom defined notifications for our project.

Ideas?

Dusty Brossart March 29, 2018

We're having a similar issue with All Watchers in the notification scheme, however, it's the opposite. We have All Watchers on the Issue Updated event, but we're getting emails right after an email is created saying the reporter updated the issue. What's really strange is A) The issue was created, not updated. B) I'm not a watcher on the issue, especially since it was JUST created. Does anyone have this issue?

Dusty Brossart March 29, 2018

What's even stranger is that JIRA is telling me I shouldn't get a notification.

AllWatchers.png

3 votes
Martin Hilbig [team neusta] June 10, 2020

Can confirm on 8.4.1, watchers not getting mails (no attempt being made either as per outgoing mail log) despite correct configuration and notification helper telling me that the auser should be notified. Notification scheme works fine for 159 projects, does bug out on 2 projects (sadly important ones)

Is there a documented bug somewhere we could vote on? It isnt really a good look if such an important feature isnt working dependably and the issue is known since four years

2 votes
Kelly Achino June 1, 2020

This is still an open bug, please correct. 

1 vote
Abhideep Bhattacharjee August 3, 2018

Follow the steps:

• Go to project 
  • Go to Project settings 
  • Go to notifications (left menu bottom) 
  • In notifications screen, click on Actions drop down and click Edit Notifications 
  • In the screen that opens, for section Events, select all or relevant events for which you want to receive notification.
  • Scroll down and select radio button option All Watchers
  • Save changes. 
  • Now everyone added in the watchers list will receive the notifications for all the Events selected. 

Hope this helps.

Bonus: If someone is still not receiving notification

• Go to Jira site settings 
  • Go to Notifications 
  • Select Project NameIssue ID (for which notification was not received), Action and User (one who didn't receive notification) 
  • Click Submit

Jira will tell you whether the person has received a notification. If not, why. 

Ross Angelov August 3, 2018

Abhideep, thanks for posting on this issue. Our setup exactly follows your steps; All Watchers is associated with the Issue Updated event and others, but watchers don't receive emails. To be more accurate, Jira doesn't initiate sending an email on these events for watchers.

image.png

Reporters and Assignee receive the emails fine, but not watchers. This feature used to work as expected until we upgraded our version to 7.2.  

Even the Notification helper says the user should be receiving emails as a watcher, see the screenshot below, but no email are being sent.

image.png

You are welcome if you can suggest how to debug or fix the problem.

Like Kelly Achino likes this
Scott McDonald October 9, 2018

@Ross Angelov - I second your comment.  The only difference is we are on version 7.8.4

Scott McDonald October 9, 2018

Is anyone able to confirm this is still a bug?

Katja Kolomytseva December 6, 2018

Yes, we also have the same problem, though we're on Jira Server 7.11.2. 

Does anyone knows anything about Atlassian feedback on this?

Jacyline Gerson May 17, 2019

Was this issue/bug ever fixed?

Like Rod McWilliams likes this
Elmar Szelestey July 8, 2019

We got the same problem, is there a workaround?

Whit Blauvelt January 24, 2020

We're seeing this now with 8.6.1. Jira's email test works fine. Notifications are configured as they've always been -- and were working before this upgrade.

Application Services November 22, 2020

We are on 7.13 and Watchers don't get notification.

Piotr Musial
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2021

we are on version Jira v8.13.2 and the problem still persists. 

1 vote
Rossen Angelov February 23, 2018

Was this ever resolved? We have been experiencing very similar problem since our upgrade to 7.2 --- All Watchers are not receiving emails. Although, All Watchers are configured in the notification scheme to get notified almost on every action.

sunil kumar August 27, 2019

still, we are facing the same issues with Jira version v7.13.0#,  Default watchers are not receiving the issues created/updated notifications.

Rohit More May 11, 2020

Even I am also facing same issue. Not able to receive any email from Jira.

0 votes
RJ Denicola August 4, 2021

Has this been looked at again?

I turned off the Batch emails and it seems to be sending the updates. 

But that is very cumbersome for some users, and very annoying for others. 

How is the batch controlled? is there some service it depends on?

0 votes
Onur Tokgoz July 7, 2020
  • Go to System
  • Go to Batching email notifications
  • Select Disabled and Save

After this setting, my watchers started to get notifications.

Version: 8.5.5

Hamdy Atakora October 16, 2020

I am on 8.10.1 and the issue really seems to be happening with the Batching email notifications

Suggest an answer