Issue visibility by group of assignee

Ivan Martin Herrero March 1, 2017

I need the following:

When i assign a user to an issue, the issue must be visible to the user and the group and Project Role where the user is.

I will make an example to illustrate:

• Bob, Mary and Ana are in the group A. 
  • July and Oscar are in group B. 
  • Bob, Ana and July are in the Project role of "Devs"
  • Mary and Oscar are in the Project Role of "Readers"
  • When someone assign Bob to an issue
    • The issue must be visible to Bob and Ana (Cause they are in the same group and project role)
    • The issue must not be visible to Mary, Oscar and July
  • But if we change the asignee to Oscar
    • The Issue must be only visible to Oscar

So a Issue only have to be visible to the user assignee and Intersection of group and project role the user belongs.

Do you know how to do it?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2017

You can't do this.  The fact that the issue is assigned to Bob has nothing to do with the visibility of the issue except for when you want to implement a rule for "assignee can see the issue".  Bob's groups and roles may also let him see the issue, but they have nothing to say about who else can see the issue.

You need to set up a security scheme that allows you the right visibility rules, and then set the right security level for the issue at the same time you are assigning it.

0 votes
Laurent Bierge
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2017

Hi,

You may check "Issue security schemes" in Administration > Issue.

You can create security level based on groups/project role/...

In the screen of the issue, insert the field "level" and fill it with a security group.

Only the users in the right security group will be able to see this issue.

Ivan Martin Herrero March 2, 2017

Yes, that way is the way i know, but the case i have is different, i dont know the group to restrict the issue security scheme. JIRA may read the group and Project role from the asignee and only let see the issue to the users in the intersection of Project role and Group from asignee.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2017

No, JIRA does not read anything from  the assignee.  The assignee is the assignee.

Ivan Martin Herrero March 2, 2017

I know, what i am asking, if there is a way to do it

Laurent Bierge
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2017

Mmmm the way i see it, your main question is "is there a way to create groups that automatically add user in terms of their groups ?"

Actually, issue security schemes can be set through field. Maybe you can use that.

But the problem may remains the same since the main difficulty is that you don't know the people to put in the security level in advance.

Maybe there are solutions in the JIRA API that can help you through programmation.

Suggest an answer