Issue type screen scheme bug

Hi All

Today i observed a bug with issue type screen scheme and want to know your opinion before i raise it with atlassian.

I have two issue types - bug and task and have mapped two different screen schemes for the two issue types. (since i want different fields for the two issue types)

Bug issue type has a mandatory field Affect Version(s) however task issue type does NOT have that field on its screen.

Now, the problem is that when i raise a task issue the system asks me that Affect version(s) field is mandatory which i think is wrong since i do not have that field on the task issue screens in the first place(have checked the task create issue screen, also the configure fields on the top right cornor and THE FIELD is not there on both places).

Any ideas?

I m on version 5.0.2 Jira

Rahul

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes

That's not a bug (although it is counter intuitive)

Screens, field configurations, and field contexts are separate things. You have separated the screens out so screen-scheme X is for bugs and screen-scheme Y is for tasks.

But I suspect you have only set up one field configuration, and in there, you've made the field mandatory. It does not matter whether the field is on the screen or not. The scheme doesn't know or care about the screens, all it knows is that you've told it "this field must be filled in". So it demands you fill it in.

Solution - set up a second field configuration, with versions optional (or hidden) and apply that to Task.

Thanks Nic...yes, i had used the same field configuration which explains the issue.

I did not realise we had the option of configuring field configuration per issue type. I will create 2nd Field config and that should resolve my issue.

Rahul

This is an expected behaviour. You can see the comment by Eric regarding this in here. Alternatively, you can include a workflow condition on the custom field so a warning will show if it is not specified.

Thanks Zulfadli for your comments. Nic's comment has resolved my issue.

Rahul

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,327 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot