Issue text spontaneously changed to Latin

Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2012

I just had the weirdest thing ever happen with my Jira instance: several of the text fields in one of my Jira issues spontaneously changed to Latin. The text of the Description field and several custom text fields changed from normal relevant English to chunks of the text generated from use of the {loremipsum} macro. I've gone through the logs and I don't see any instance of the loremipsum macro being used, and I don't see anything of the kind in the issue history as displayed in the GUI or in the OS_HISTORYSTEP table in the database.

It seems logical that one of my users did something wrong to cause the behavior, but I can't think what. The change history for the issue shows that a specific user changed each of the fields to a chunk of the sample text from loremipsum in a single change event. There is no way that could possibly be an accident, but there's no reason that anyone would do this on purpose as it would only make their job more difficult. Moreover, I doubt that anyone besides me is even aware of the loremipsum macro. As pranks go, this one is pretty weak and it's nowhere near April Fools Day.

One thing I noticed was that one of text fields that uses the HTML renderer was updated to use the following text:

{color:red} Investigation is in progress [~swasiullah]. {color}

The first instance of the Latin had the value "Ipsum dolor sit amet, co". The text from the loremopsum macro starts with "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit."

My "best" theory is that at some point "{color:red" was "{co lored" at some point and everything went wonky from there. It's not a very good theory, I know.

I'm not filing this as a bug in Jira because it's just too weird. My question is has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I'm using Jira 5.1.8 with GreenHopper 6.0.6 hosted on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4. Any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
FernandoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2012

Hi,

This is indeed weird.

Well, I've made some tests with JIRA 5.1.8 and looks like there's a bug when using the {color} on the comment.

For example, I use "{color:red}Some text{color}" and then comment it. After that I use "{color:blue}Some text{color}" if I click on the preview I'll get the the text I got previously text with colour red. I also notice that anything I write and click on preview I got the same previous result.

Anyways, this bug seems to be fixed on newer versions of JIRA. I have made test on JIRA 5.2.2 and I don't get these errors. So upgrading your instance would be a solution to avoid this issue.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Suggest an answer