Issue text spontaneously changed to Latin

I just had the weirdest thing ever happen with my Jira instance: several of the text fields in one of my Jira issues spontaneously changed to Latin. The text of the Description field and several custom text fields changed from normal relevant English to chunks of the text generated from use of the {loremipsum} macro. I've gone through the logs and I don't see any instance of the loremipsum macro being used, and I don't see anything of the kind in the issue history as displayed in the GUI or in the OS_HISTORYSTEP table in the database.

It seems logical that one of my users did something wrong to cause the behavior, but I can't think what. The change history for the issue shows that a specific user changed each of the fields to a chunk of the sample text from loremipsum in a single change event. There is no way that could possibly be an accident, but there's no reason that anyone would do this on purpose as it would only make their job more difficult. Moreover, I doubt that anyone besides me is even aware of the loremipsum macro. As pranks go, this one is pretty weak and it's nowhere near April Fools Day.

One thing I noticed was that one of text fields that uses the HTML renderer was updated to use the following text:

{color:red} Investigation is in progress [~swasiullah]. {color}

The first instance of the Latin had the value "Ipsum dolor sit amet, co". The text from the loremopsum macro starts with "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit."

My "best" theory is that at some point "{color:red" was "{co lored" at some point and everything went wonky from there. It's not a very good theory, I know.

I'm not filing this as a bug in Jira because it's just too weird. My question is has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I'm using Jira 5.1.8 with GreenHopper 6.0.6 hosted on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4. Any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

Hi,

This is indeed weird.

Well, I've made some tests with JIRA 5.1.8 and looks like there's a bug when using the {color} on the comment.

For example, I use "{color:red}Some text{color}" and then comment it. After that I use "{color:blue}Some text{color}" if I click on the preview I'll get the the text I got previously text with colour red. I also notice that anything I write and click on preview I got the same previous result.

Anyways, this bug seems to be fixed on newer versions of JIRA. I have made test on JIRA 5.2.2 and I don't get these errors. So upgrading your instance would be a solution to avoid this issue.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

90 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you