Issue raised anonymously - Email to respond not working.

Grant Lansdown November 13, 2016

JIRA Cloud Software - Newly Created Service Desk Project

I have changed the permissions on the project so that users can raise issues without having a JIRA account however, I have noticed once the issue is raised I have no way to respond to the customer who raised the ticket as it is listed as anonymous.  I have thought about creating user accounts for each person who will be raising issues however it would not be suitable to create a JIRA account for each user as we will eventually have students raising issues themselves and licensing cost will be too high.

I need to be able to capture the requestor's email address and for that to then be populated in the requester field so I can respond within Jira.

Any advice on the best way around this so I can both capture the requestor's email and respond inside JIRA will leaving the permissions to raise a ticket anonymously.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2016

Ok, I think you've misunderstood, or not seen, one of the features of Service Desk.

JIRA needs accounts to be created in order to record who did things and communicate with them about changes.  Standard JIRA accounts do cost money.  JIRA Software adds a load of development tools and the access to them costs a bit more.

JSD adds two more types of account.  Agents, who are very expensive (but you usually only need a small number of them), and Customers, who are free

The simple thing you should do here is just remove this "anonymous" access, and then let your students and other  requestors access as "customers".  All your problems go away when you use it as intended!

0 votes
eoaddai November 21, 2016

I am having this same problem too. Customer just want to post an issue. but JIRA is requesting for password. Any help?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2016

I'm not sure what the question is - it asks for a password when the user logs in so it can confirm that they are the account owner.  What is the problem with that?

Grant Lansdown November 21, 2016

Are they trying to log in the correct project?  What groups are allowed post/edit issue permissions?

Suggest an answer