Issue not showing in Backlog -- Agile

John Teal August 3, 2015

I've used JIRA/Agile but have not administered it (created from scratch). I have a new account and have Agile. I created a Board/Project and a Sprint and created one issue which showed in the Backlog then moved it to the Sprint–great. When trying to create a second issue the same way only minutes later, the Issue now does not show up in Backlog. Can see the Issue when I click Issues (top nav-bar), but from Issues on left-bar it does not show. When I look at the properties of the one that worked and the one that didn't, each look identical to me. Help!

3 answers

1 vote
Ra Williams November 14, 2018

In case anyone stumbles on this and nothing above helps, I thought i'd post my own solution:

People should be aware of this small point from Jira's documentation:

"Make sure your board has multiple columns populated, JIRA Software will consider the last column that's filled in as the end column."

Essentially, you need atleast two columns on your board. In our use case, we were trying to create an external board for a vendor to use, and deleted all but one column (since they would't need to care about transitioning things). Everything was properly mapped, but nothing showed up, and the column was marked as "to do" in grey (not green). However, as expected (when you think about it), one column = last column, and in Jira last column = done/removed from backlog. Added a second column with my status in the first and bingo – instant backlog.

It's not intuitive at first that one column marked as "To Do" would still function as last column marked "Done." It's super simple, but very easy to miss if you're not combing over the resolution docs with a fine-toothed comb.

Citation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/issues-are-not-appearing-in-boards-779159013.html

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2015

Ok, start with a look at the board filter (Go to the board, select board config near the top right, and look at the "general" tab).  What, exactly, does that say?  What you're trying to establish is why the second new issue doesn't match the filter.

John Teal August 3, 2015

It says

“Saved Filter: Filter for A”

“Filter Query: project = BN ORDER BY Rank ASC”

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2015

Nice simple one, good. So, I assume the new is being added into the project BN? Could you check what the issue type is for the missing issue, and try clicking on the "show on board" link on the bottom of the right-hand column? Also, check the status and resolution - specifically, is the resolution showing unresolved (in italics)

John Teal August 3, 2015

The project of the one that works is "Demo Project WBT" with an issue of "Board Name / BN-1". Status shows as "ToDo", Resolution "Unresolved" but is NOT italisized. Is in "Sprint 1"

When I click on "Board Name" part of "Board Name / BN-1", it takes me to "Demo Project WBT" "Sprint 1"

When I go to the "Issues>Recent Issues" from the top nav-bar, I click on the arrent issue and see this:

"Demo WBT / Demo-5" above the issue name, "Sprint" is "Sprint 1" "Resolution:" is "Unresolved" and is NOT italisized.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2015

Ok, the resolution thing might be a red-herring - I was thinking that if one is resolved and the other is not, you wouldn't see the resolved one on the board. But they're the same, so it's not that. I'm a little confused by the displays you are seeing on the issues. Status and Sprint are fine, but could you tell us For the working issue, what is the issue Key, summary and issue type? For the broken issue, the same three questions? p.s. The italicised question is a swipe at checking for an error some people make - they add a resolution of "unresolved" to the list, which breaks JIRA because any value in the field means "resolved". Empty resolutions show as italicised "unresolved" in plain JIRA (not Agile! Just the issue view) and a non-italicised "unresolved" when that mistake has occurred. But, as your two issues are the same, it's not this!

Like Raylin likes this
John Teal August 4, 2015

Figured it out, or at least have found how to make it work. Apparently, when you create an Issue/Task from a Project, the Issue isn't automatically associated with that Project. You also can't (at least I can't find how to) edit/switch the Project name of an Issue once it's been created (if you can, please show me how!). So I created an Issue and selected the correct Project (and Sprint) and it showed up correctly. WooHoo!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 4, 2015

So you were putting the issues in the wrong project?

Santosh Vudimudi June 28, 2018

I have tried editing the board setting and found that there are couple of status in the unmapped column so moved them to active columns that resolved

Like Shayan Sheikh likes this
0 votes
QC Tools and Admin November 13, 2019

In my case, the "Open" status was missing from the selection in the board config so I had to update the board filter to specify all statuses in addition to the project name.

So "project = xyz" became "project = xyz AND status in ("In Progress", Closed, Open, "Ready For Retest", New, Assigned, Reopened, "In Triage")". I think this is because we use two workflows on the project and the board config only detects one of them.

Suggest an answer