Issue getEstimate() API possibly incorrect.

Jonathan Kramer July 29, 2013

The Issue API

https://developer.atlassian.com/static/javadoc/jira/6.0.5/reference/com/atlassian/jira/issue/Issue.html#getEstimate()

States that

Returns
  • the "remaining estimate" of work left to be performed on this issue, in milliseconds.

However in development, I am finding that it is actually providing the "remaining estimate" in seconds?

Have I done something stupid, or are the docs wrong?

Thanks,

Jonny

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jonathan Kramer August 1, 2013

I've researched this further and am now convinced that Issue:getEstimate() returns seconds, as do other time based methods such as Worklog:getTimeSpent()

It is possible this is an option that can be changed, but regardless the API is not accurate.

My concern now is that after writing the plugin to deal with seconds, Atlassian will change the method inline with the API docs and break my plugin.

Regards,

Jonny

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2013

i think getEstimate() will return milliseconds only,

on which jira version you are testing on?

Jonathan Kramer July 29, 2013

I suspect the docs are in fact correct, but I can't work out what I'm doing differently.

<jira.version>6.1-20130626</jira.version>

I am using the Report Module and printing out issue.getEstimate() in a velocity file. After setting remaining time to 1 Hour, it prints 3600, which is clearly 1 Hour in Seconds.

Suggest an answer