Issue from incoming mail - blocked address?

James Rossow February 5, 2013

I've successfully configured the incoming mail handler to create issues when email is received. I've tested the functionality and it works for email addresses with these domains:

@teamdetroit.com

@gmail.com

@yahoo.com

@wunderman.com

However, when users send an email from this domain @wunderman.cz, issues are not created. I see no error messages on the Admin panel.

Since we're using JIRA OnDemand, I can't see the logs to find out what's happening. Is it possible that the '.cz' top-level domain is being excluded? Is it possible to whitelist domains?

Thanks for your help!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
James Rossow February 12, 2013

Registered JIRA users must have permission enabled to create issues. The strange thing, at least to me, is that non-registered or anonymous users have permission by default. So emails from registered email address having insufficient permissions will be completely ignored. Meanwhile, emails from literally ANY other non-registered address are converted into tickets.

There is no queue to see what has bounced. JIRA OnDemand doesn't provide a facility to review the logs, so that's not an option.

Once this was diagnosed as a permissions issue, it was very easy to modify on the Permissions page.

MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2013

In order for non registered users to be able to create issues on your instance through email, your mail handler needs to have a default reporter defined. If this is not the case, only mails sent by email addresses tied to an existing account (with the proper permissions) will be handled, and all other sources will be ignored.

0 votes
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2013

Hi,
We will require additional information from you and possibly some help with running tests in order to investigate this issue. could you please create a support request for this here?
Cheers

edit

I have confirmed that this domain is not being blocked fropm our side

James Rossow February 11, 2013

Finally figured it out. Registered JIRA users must have permission enabled to create issues. The strange thing, at least to me, is that non-registered or anonymous users have permission by default.

So, yes, it was a user error on my part!

Thanks!

Suggest an answer