Issue from email - associate part of subject line with Issue Key

Bart Etter January 18, 2013

I am working with a third-party system that generates incident report emails that contain an incident number within the subject line, and this incident number is used for all reports pertaining to a given incident (warning, critical, resolved).

The subject lines are generated like so:
Warning(Critical): Device X - Incident Y Reported: Incident Description
OR:
Device X - Incident Y Resolved: Incident Description

Is there any way I can have JIRA track the "Device X - Incident Y" part of the subject line so that only one issue key is created, and close the issue when the subject line denotes that the issue is resolved?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2013

None as you are on OnDemand. Otherwise you could have written a custom email handler - https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Plugin+Tutorial+-+Writing+a+Custom+Message+(Mail)+Handler+for+JIRA

(I am assuming that the Device X - Incident Y has nothing to do with the JIRA issue keys and you required a kind of mapping between this string and an actual JIRA issue)

0 votes
Bart Etter January 19, 2013

That's pretty much waht I figured. And yes, you are correct, the Device X - Incident Y syntax is generated by the external system with which I am interfacing. I've been reading up on writing a custom message handler, but suspected I might run into a problem since we are using the on-demand platform. Looks like I'm going to have to code a custom pre-processing solution. Thanks for the swift reply!

Suggest an answer