Issue displaying the same epic + stories across 2 projects, 1 next-gen & 1 classic

Sam Nordstrom November 26, 2019

I am trying to get the same epic & stories within that epic to appear in both a classic Jira project view and a next-gen project view

The issues are created in the next gen project and appear there just fine. 

The classic project has a filter to show issues from both projects and when I use that filter I am able to see both the epics and stories in the issue search when applying that filter... however when I navigate the the classic project backlog - which is using that exact filter - I can only see the epics... 

Anyone run into this? Or know a better way to display epics+stories across both next-gen and classic projects?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2019

Hello Sam,

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

Per your description, I believe that the backlog of your classic board is not displaying the Stories of a next-gen project which you included in the board filter.

I suggest you check the following steps:

1 - Navigate to your Classic board > Board settings > Columns

2 - Next-gen projects create new statuses with the same name to be used. That being said, check if the column "Unmapped Statuses" is placed with the statuses of your next-gen project. If it is, map it in your backlog column - The first one from left to right.

3 - If you are using a Kanban board, check under Board Settings > General if you have any sub-filters configured in your board that could be removing your next-gen issues

P.S: Classic boards were not designed to display next-gen issues. That being said, you will probably see not coherent behavior for the board report and releases when applying them to Next-gen. If you would like to use all of your classic board resources with no gaps, I suggest you migrate your next-gen issues to a classic project by following the steps below:

Migrate between Next-Gen and classic projects 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Sam Nordstrom November 27, 2019

Thanks @Petter Gonçalves we're still running into the same issue - I can get the epics to appear across both projects, and the stories from the next-gen project to appear in the board in one of the columns with the status mapping, but the stories within a next-gen epic aren't appearing in the classic board's backlog. 

If we use all classic boards we can't make use of the roadmap feature which is the main goal of having epics span projects. 

Any thoughts?  

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2019

Hello Sam,

Thank you for your details.

Indeed, the roadmap feature was not applied for classic projects yet, as you can see in the feature request below:

Enable Roadmap for "classic" project 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

About the Stories of the Epics not displaying in your project backlog, I believe your board filter might be blocking those issues from displaying. That being said, please provide us with the following information so we can better troubleshoot it:

1 - The board configured in your classic project is a Scrum or Kanban board?

2 - What is the filter you configured on your Classic board?

3 - Can you provide us with the screenshot of any issues that are not appearing in your board but it should? P.S: Make sure to hide any sensitive information from the screenshot.

Suggest an answer