Issue auto assign to user based on the schedule

Yevhenii Yaremenko September 2, 2016

I need to configure JIRA automatically assign an issue to the user when one of the fields is changed to the scientific value ('confirmed').

As I know it is possible to trigger a transition if a specific field has been filled in using separate add-on: 

http://blog.valiantys.com/en/jira-en/automation-update-jira-issues-automaticall

and then auto assign user on the issue transition.

Is there any way to perform it without add-ons?

The user must be chosen  from the list of users based on the calendar (and probably it is the most complicated part).

For example:

1) if an issue is created/transitioned from 08:00 till 16:00 on working day (Monday-Friday) it should be automatically assigned to user, in another case it should be assigned to the group.

2) if the issue is created on Monday it should be assigned to user 'John';

if the issue is created on Tuesday it should be assigned to user 'Will';

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Lenny Emmerton September 9, 2016

Hello Yevhenii, we had a similar issue and had to put the tool belt on to create a solution. We needed to assign issues to a rostered on-call user and for them to be notified that they had an issue to be resolved.

Like you flexibility was also required, as in we needed the roster to be hourly, daily, weekly, monthly etc. and tiered to make sure that if the issue was not acknowledged in a specified time it would then be sent to the next user in the roster. 

So the tools we used to get the job done was to build the plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.sapling.elevator/server/overview and couple the plugin with JIRA's Service Desk to use their Automation function. This allows us to send the issue to a roster when a field has a been given a certain value. We also integrated with JIRA workflow, so we could create a transition step that the user could select within the issue which in turn will invoke Elevator for JIRA to assign to the required user. Then boom, we were smiling smile 

I hope this helps.

0 votes
Yevhenii Yaremenko September 20, 2016

Hello, Lenny!

I have just review the mentioned plugin - and it seems that it provides all functionality we need. 

Thank you very much for your help and for so detailed description! 

Lenny Emmerton September 20, 2016

My pleasure Yevhenii, if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Suggest an answer