Issue about Incoming Mail handler setup in Jira. error is 'SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out'

Sharda Gupta November 27, 2014

Hi,

I want to set Incoming mail handler in jira. When i try to do so using (mxtest.wellsfargo.com) as hostname and username password same as of jira app, getting error as  "Unfortunately no connection was possible. SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out". 

Pinging the host name works fine.

Do we have to set any other parameter in Jira?

struggling on this issue from long time..please help..

2 answers

0 votes

Thanks Nic..does it means that i have to check my mailbox seeting? is it related to Mapy setting of outlook mailbox? or any other setting to be enable?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2014

Yes, it probably is something on the mail server. Are you using POP3 or IMAP?

I have very limited knowledge of mail server. Not sure how to chcek about traffice on network. I tried with all options of POP and IMAP (sercure_POP, secure_IMAP) and get the same exception. Do i need to use any specific?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2014

Sorry, I've just noticed you said Mapy and Outlook. I'm assuming you mean Mapi and you're using Exchange as the mail server. MAPI is a closed, proprietary protocol that Jira does not support because it would cost far too much. More recent versions of Exchange turn off support for the (much better) IMAP protocol by default and you need to get that enabled in order to connect to JIRA (actually, I'd use IMAP over SSL myself, but SSL is a default for mee)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2014

You need to debug the network connection between JIRA and the mail server, or the mail server.  A timeout usually means that JIRA can see the mail server (confirmed with a ping test), but that when it tries to log in, the mail server does not respond - that can be down to the traffic being blocked on the network, or the mail server is not running, or accepting requests from your machine/network.

Suggest an answer