Issue Types in JIRA

Mohammed Khadir January 8, 2014

Is there a differentiation between subtask issue type vs parent issue type ?

what I would like displayed in issue navigator is a way to display title of subtask or issue type for subtask.

Thank you

Mohammed

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2014

To show a list of subtask titles that belong to a given parent issue, will take custom programming. As I said, JIRA Agile does a hint of that in their Work view.

0 votes
Mohammed Khadir January 8, 2014

I had a question from a user to display SubTask Type in issue navigator when I am running the issueFunction in has SubTasks().

Currently what it shows is a list of SubTask Id's.

0 votes
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2014

Your question is difficult to understand because of the overloaded names in JIRA. "subtask" in JIRA is used both as an issue-type "name" and as an issue-type classification. For example, I believe out of the box JIRA comes with a subtask (classification) by the name of "Technical Task" as well as another subtask by the name of "Sub Task". Both of them have titles: the Summary field.

It would be possible to show the parent of a subtask in issue navigator but you'd need a custom report to show the subtasks for the parent issue. One exception is in the Board (JIRA Agile) where you can show issues grouped by their parent item.

Suggest an answer