Issue Type Screen Scheme

john davison June 8, 2016

Sorry for what might seem a very simple question but I'm new to Jira. I am struggling to get my head around the purpose of  Issue Type Screen Scheme. I get the need to set up a screen with fields, I get that you want assign these to Operations.. but then I get lost on the last bit.

I have read some Atlassian articles but its not helping.  Anybody able to give me some help? 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2016

Welcome to Jira! smile 

JIRA provides the platform for adding different screens for 'Create' 'Edit' and 'View' operation separately. For example, you have two Issue types 'issueA' and 'IssueB'. You may need different screens with respect to the issue types. So you can create 6 screens (like 'issueACreate', 'issueAEdit','issueAView' and similarly 3 for issueB) or you can utilize the same screens for all issue types as generic.

Then, in the next level you have to create Screen scheme. Here, you have to create two Screen Schemes - 'issueAScreenScheme' and 'issueBScreenScheme'. For example, 'issueAScreenScheme' will hold 'issueACreate', 'issueAEdit' and 'issueAView'.  This is to pack the screens specific to Issue types.

Finally. you have to create one Issue type screen scheme for a project. Here, you need to hold two Screen Schemes into this and map it with the issue type. For example, ProjectABScreenScheme can be associated to 'issueAScreenScheme' and 'issueBScreenScheme'. Where, 'issueAScreenScheme' can be mapped to 'issueA'.

I can also help you in the design if you share your architecture with fake values. Kindly let me know if you need any clarifications.

0 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2016

Issue Type Screen Schemes create the link between the issue types, the screens, and your project. 

Suppose you have a bug issue type on Project A, and bug issue type on Project B. In theory you can have different screens for bugs on each project.

0 votes
Valerie Liarikos June 8, 2016

An issue type screen scheme connect an issue type to projects. Different projects can have different issue types. For example Project A might have stories and bugs, while project B might only have Tasks. 

When you create a scheme, you can them associate it to whatever projects you want. 

Suggest an answer