Issue Security Level does not work with groups/roles created (it still work with default groups/roles of JIRA)

Minh Vo March 26, 2013

- I want to use Issue Security Level to manage Dev and QA who can/cannot see issue/task

- I created :

+2 group: TestDeveloper and TestQA

+2 roles: ProjectDeveloper and ProjectQA

+IssueScheme in Issue Security Schemes

- In IssueScheme,I add 2 security level: DeveloperLevel and QALevel

- In DeveloperLevel,I add ProjectDeveloper role

- In QALevel,I add ProjectQA role

- I assign IssueScheme into project

- I create an issue, choose Security Level => it just have "None" option (Expected: DeveloperLevel and QALevel must appear), but if in DeveloperLevel,I add Administrators roles(default role of JIRA).In QALevel,I add Developer role (default role of JIRA) then I create an issue,Security Level will have DeveloperLevel and QALevel options

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2013

> I create an issue, choose Security Level => it just have "None" option

That sounds like you have not associated the security scheme with the project. (Although you have got the "set security level" permission correct, which is the usual culprit for "I can't set a security level"). Please check the project security scheme.

Minh Vo March 26, 2013

Hi Nic,

I associated in step "- I assign IssueScheme into project" in my description.

It just happens with groups/roles created by myself, the default groups/roles of JIRA (Administrators,Developers or User) still works correctly

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2013

I'm sorry, I do not understand. The "Issue scheme" is not the "security level scheme". In fact, it doesn't mean anything at all in Jira speak, which is why it is unclear to me.

The symptoms you describe, if I am understanding them correctly, are consistent with you not having set the "security level scheme" on the project.

Could you go to project administration and look in the "permissions" section. Copy and paste ALL the text there, so we can see what you have actually set up.

(Also, what do you mean "still works correctly"? Do you mean when you are part of one of those default roles, or do you mean when you use them in the security scheme?)

Minh Vo March 27, 2013

Hi Nic,

Here is my "project permission":

Project permissions allow you to control who can access your project, and what they can do, e.g. "Work on Issues". Access to individual issues is granted to people by issue permissions.

• Scheme:Default Premissions Scheme
  • Issues:IssueScheme

The problem is:

- If i set the groups/roles created by myself (like here):

<th>Security Level</th><th>Users / Groups / Project Roles</th><th width="10%">Operations</th>
ProjectDeveloper
  • Project Role (LogiGear_Developers) (Delete)
ProjectQA
  • Project Role (LogiGear_QAs) (Delete)

then I create an issue, Security Level just have "None" option

- But if I set the default groups/roles of JIRA (like here):

<th>Security Level</th><th>Users / Groups / Project Roles</th><th width="10%">Operations</th>
ProjectDeveloper
  • Project Role (Administrators) (Delete)
ProjectQA
  • Project Role (Developers) (Delete)

then I created an issue, Security Level have "None", "ProjectDeveloper", "ProjectQA" options (it means my "it still works correctly")

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 31, 2013

It sounds like you aren't putting yourself in the right roles.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 31, 2013

You need to put your users in the right roles for the security levels to work.

Including whichever role/group etc gives you the permission to set the security level.

Minh Vo March 31, 2013

What does "right roles" mean,Nic? :-s

Minh Vo April 1, 2013

Example, I have 2 users A and B

I assigned user A as "LogiGear_Developer" project role, user B as "LogiGear_QA" project role.

That is your "right roles" meaning,Nic?

0 votes
Lars Rytter July 5, 2016

I hope you figured out the cause of the mentioned behaviour by now; so this answer is to help other JIRA users who are reading this because they are experiencing the same behaviour.

I the case you mention, you (and also the users setting the security level) have to be a member of 'Project Role (LogiGear_Developers)' to be able to set the security level to ProjectDeveloper. Likewise any user setting the security level to ProjectQA has to be a member of 'Project Role (LogiGear_QAs)'. It seems that a user cannot set the security level of an issue to a level the user cannot access. This is why you could set the security level when you changed the setup of the security levels to roles you had yourself.

This feature of JIRA prevents a user from setting the security level of an issue to a level where the issue cannot be accessed by the same user.

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2014

Even I am facing this issue .. Can you please share how you resolved this . Regards, Mizan

0 votes
Minh Vo April 1, 2013

Thanks Nic, Mia. I resolved my problem

0 votes
Mia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2013

I'll try and help.

Firstly in your Project's Permission scheme make sure you have the correct project role set up in 'Set Issue Security'. If you don't belong to a project role with that permission you can't set issue security.

If you've created an Issue Security Scheme which has security levels and you've created Security Levels associated with a Project role, that is good, you'll also have to associate it to your Project under Issue Security.

When you administer a project go to the 'Roles' section and ensure under the Project Role for 'ProjectQA' for example you've got the user group 'TestQA' for example assigned to that role.

The other thing you'll have to ensure is if the groups you've created are assigned as a single group to a user they'll need to have Global Permissions set as a JIRA user, or they won't be able to log into JIRA.

0 votes
Minh Vo March 31, 2013

Nobody help me? :(

0 votes
Minh Vo March 31, 2013

Nobody help me?...:(

Suggest an answer