Issue Priority Increase by Age

Karl Cassar October 8, 2013

We have this situation where sometimes issues which have a low priority end up taking ages or actually never get solved because other issues of higher priority takes over since our list of issues is never empty.

We usually browse tasks, sorted by Priority and for this reason, tasks of lower priority tend to never be seen unless we go manually through them and increase their priority.

Is there any way where we can set up rules such that if an issue is for example 30 days old, then increase its priority level by 1?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
MarkW October 8, 2013

You are possibly needing issue escalation which Atlassian has documented their use with Jelly Scripts (must be enabled in your instance): https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Jelly+Escalation. This can also be done with a groovy script if you have Script Runner plugin installed.

If you are not comfortable creating a jelly script, I would recommend creating a filter subscription as well. I currently use a filter subscription to show me open and unassigned issues that have not been updated over X period. I then triage this list to get assigned out.

If you use Greenhopper (err JIRA Agile) you can use a Kanban board and utilize a swimlane to show open issues older than 30 days. This will make those issues bubble to the top so they are still within view by your team.

Suggest an answer